Outside enclosure issue

EllieN

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
I'm hoping for suggestions here. My entire yard is shaded by a huge oak tree. My sully is now getting too big for her indoor enclosure, so this summer I have to create her outdoor enclosure in my yard. I read that oak leaves are bad for torts, but there isn't an inch of ground where they don't fall, twelve months a year.

I guess I have two questions. Does anybody else have a tortoise under an oak tree, and does it work out? And, assuming the answer is no, and with removing the tree not being an option, any ideas on how to keep the leaves out of the enclosure?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There quite a few oak trees here, in the yard, and last fall I didn't exactly take special care to keep the yard leaf-free :rolleyes: And both the tortsies wandered around them, and didn't take interest in the leaves.
Crunchy and brown! Yuck! :p

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
That's good to hear. There are many different kinds of oak leaves, and mine are smallish and sort of stiff with prickers around the edges, and they stay green for a long time after they fall. I worry because they're green and bite-sized. Hopefully one taste will be the last!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have the same issue in my backyard - 2 large oaks. Ive watched mine walk through the leaves and they pay no attetion to them at all. You never know.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Those are sawtooth oaks and are the most acidic and tannin filled of all oaks. ( I once harvested many gallons of the prolific meaty acorns and had to leach them for six months before the deer would enjoy them). Would NOT be good for your tort. If the tree must stay and there are no other relocation options for the enclosure I only know that I would block anything that falls from that tree. Good luck.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you can't or don't want to cut the tree down I would at least have a professional tree trimmer come in and thin it out a little bit. This will mean if you were leaves over all to deal with and maybe some little spots of sun light creeping through. Maybe plant some really yummy tortoise food in other areas of the yard so the tortoises aren't as interested in the leaves. And then, as hard as it would be, make raking a daily chore.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You would have to be careful of soft garden netting placed up highish as it could trap little birds but hope you find a safe solution for torts and wildlife.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
My outdoor enclosure is covered with oak trees as week,my tort doesn't seem to bother with the leaves, when I pick grass and weeds in the winter for him I sometimes accidentally give him leaves and he doesn't seem to eat them! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432878873.420654.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432879218.993487.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have a bizilion oak trees, I have a pond net over my enclosure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've housed many species of tortoises under oak trees for years without any issues. The green leaves are supposedly toxic, but the brown dried up leaves are not. We roach keepers (Yes. There are people in the world who fancy exotic roach species just as we fancy tortoises...) use the dried up oak leaves of all oak species in our roach enclosures to give the roaches something to chew on and use as cover. I can 100% guarantee that old weathered oak leaves are not toxic, and I can 99% guarantee your tortoise won't mess with new or old oak leaves anyway.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
My outdoor enclosure is covered with oak trees as week,my tort doesn't seem to bother with the leaves, when I pick grass and weeds in the winter for him I sometimes accidentally give him leaves and he doesn't seem to eat them! View attachment 131917View attachment 131918

I LOVE your fencing for your enclosure and would love to see more photos if you don't mind sharing!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I'm hoping for suggestions here. My entire yard is shaded by a huge oak tree. My sully is now getting too big for her indoor enclosure, so this summer I have to create her outdoor enclosure in my yard. I read that oak leaves are bad for torts, but there isn't an inch of ground where they don't fall, twelve months a year.

I guess I have two questions. Does anybody else have a tortoise under an oak tree, and does it work out? And, assuming the answer is no, and with removing the tree not being an option, any ideas on how to keep the leaves out of the enclosure?

I don't know how much room you have/how much sun you have in that area... but maybe over the area that gets the most leaves you could build a simple canopy out of posts and corrugated awning material? Kinda like this photo I found (but remove the grill unless your tort is into that kinda thing) and your posts would not need to be as beefy... You could make it as wide as needed and the majority of leaves would fall behind your torts enclosure (in theory.)

awning.jpg