Outside enclosure walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
If I were to build an enclosure outside for my two year old sulcata, how deep into the ground would I need to put reinforcements to stop him from digging out. My plan is to dig a trench around the entire area and put a wall of bricks of somesort underground so that he can't find his way out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've had turtles and tortoises for over 30 years and in that time I've never had a tortoise dig under a fence. If you make sure there is no daylight showing under the bottom of the fence, chances are good that the tortoise won't try to dig out. BUT if he can see through or under, yes, he will dig.

When I firs moved where I live now and started building tortoise yards, I had a cement border installed all around the perimeter fencing. And then for the interior fences, I lay day what is called masonry caps all along inside the fences. Masonry caps are rectangular stepping stone.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Okay. I was planning on putting stone as the walls also so that makes me feel better. Hes already outsmarted me once and im just worries hes going to do it again. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.