Outside run behaviour

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi all
I've just got a run for my timmy but every time I put him in there he just eats & eats at anything he can find (all edible) which makes me want to take him in asap. Is it ok for him to keep eating like this? Thanks
Also should I have him wormed now that hes going outside in the nice weather xxx

Hertfordshire
That's what they do. Because the warm weather where the y come from is such a short time, they are hard wired to eat as much as they can.
Thanks hes only been out 3x but hopefully abit more if the weather stays nice here over the Easter weekend.
Would you suggest I get him wormed? Thanks

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Vicky#newtothis I think your tortoise is captive bred, since you’re in the UK? He’s not likely to have a high parasite load; that’s common to the wild caught tortoises so many of us have in the United States; they come into the country with them. It’s not the sort of thing you need to worry about unless he’s showing obvious signs of heavy infestation, which I am sure he is not.

Let him have the outside time he can have and enjoy watching him eat. They are eating machines.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi all
I've just got a run for my timmy but every time I put him in there he just eats & eats at anything he can find (all edible) which makes me want to take him in asap. Is it ok for him to keep eating like this? Thanks
Also should I have him wormed now that hes going outside in the nice weather xxx

Of course it is OK. Grazing is natural behaviour for your tort. Let him graze as much as he wants. When he has had enough, he’ll find a warm spot to bask and snooze so he can digest it and start again :)

I had my tort outside for 47 years in the UK and he never once needed worming. If your tort fails to thrive then take a fresh poop sample to a vet for testing... otherwise leave well alone :)