Outside Sulcata Tortoise Lighting Help

patchell13

Hello, I've tried reading a bunch of threads and post on google to find my answer and I can't exactly come to a conclusion on what I exactly have to do.

So we have a Sulcata Tortoise we want to keep outside. We live in San Diego (Southern) California. I know the tortoise needs 95-100 degree F heat during the day and 75-80 Degree F at night. Would I need a Heating/Light lamp (like the Exo Terra Solar-Glo) during the day, and a separate ceramic heating lamp for night time?

Sorry if these questions sound repetitive and simple but I couldn't quite find out what I needed.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If the tortoise is set up outside, then he'll sit someplace where the air is calm, in the sun, to warm up. My sulcata chooses the side of the stucco house...gets right up against it, and just sits there for an hour or so, soaking up the rays.

If your nights dip down into very cool temps, you can think about putting a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) in the ceiling of the tortoise house, but I doubt any daytime heat will be necessary. If you DO have an overcast, gloomy, cool day, you can always turn on the CHE inside the house for the tortoise to warm up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
patchell13 said:
Hello, I've tried reading a bunch of threads and post on google to find my answer and I can't exactly come to a conclusion on what I exactly have to do.

So we have a Sulcata Tortoise we want to keep outside. We live in San Diego (Southern) California. I know the tortoise needs 95-100 degree F heat during the day and 75-80 Degree F at night. Would I need a Heating/Light lamp (like the Exo Terra Solar-Glo) during the day, and a separate ceramic heating lamp for night time?

Sorry if these questions sound repetitive and simple but I couldn't quite find out what I needed.

Thanks!

What size tortoise are we talking about?

For older bigger ones in SoCal, this is what I do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

As long they have their warm box to retreat to, I don't worry about lighting them outside.

Here is another method that I like even better:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html