Lighting help please

Zoeclare

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
What basking bulb do you use? I have ordered the bulbs Mark has linked above but wondered if Arcadia do any? In future could get both from internet reptiles who I have used before
I actually don't use a basking bulb! Redfoot don't tend to bask and avoid really bright lights so I just have ches, I did Google incandescent bulbs when Mark said about them being banned and apparently they stopped selling them here in 2012 ? so I guess a reptile brand is the only way to get one, I get my ches on amazon so I would try there for the best prices, maybe look at chicken brooder bulbs? I'm not sure about that last bit?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will do thanks, that's another thing I've been a bit miffed about was how long you need to keep the thermometer under there for to get an accurate temperature. I have a digital thermometer with long probe that I like to use for this as well as an infrared temp gun. How are you supposed to measure the temperature at shell height without the tort being there. I have the option to turn the laser on and off but obiously never want to point a laser ANYWHERE near my tort.
FInd an object like a section of 2x4 or a rock that is about the same height as your tortoise and rest the thermometer on that under the lamp.

Midlands, UK
I actually don't use a basking bulb! Redfoot don't tend to bask and avoid really bright lights so I just have ches, I did Google incandescent bulbs when Mark said about them being banned and apparently they stopped selling them here in 2012 ? so I guess a reptile brand is the only way to get one, I get my ches on amazon so I would try there for the best prices, maybe look at chicken brooder bulbs? I'm not sure about that last bit?
Oh yes you did say! I'm going to get the arcadia strip you linked and figure out how to hang it when it arrives :)

Midlands, UK
Oh yes you did say! I'm going to get the arcadia strip you linked and figure out how to hang it when it arrives :)
If I ordered this,

Would the below be the correct bulb? I want to buy a backup

Midlands, UK
Also grabbed a few of these :)

Midlands, UK
Please can I have help regarding new table temperatures. Basking temps are currently 90-100f but rest of the table is only about 65f in the day so would probably drop off again in the night. Too cold!! Please see photo of unfinished table, a humid hide will also be going next to basking area soon. The MVP will be off into the bin soon as have a 100w flood going in and UVB tube as below links..

https://www.internetreptile.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-34in-39w-desert-12-uvb/
https://www.internetreptile.com/arcadia-reptile-basking-solar-flood-100w-sbf100/

As you can see he has burrowed next to the basking spot which makes me think he wants to cool off a bit but it's too cold in rest of enclosure. I have a smaller vivarium I can put him in for the time being until I get this sorted.

Thinking of getting the aradia ceramic heater 100w bulb linked below and putting in the cooler end, but what temperatures should I be hitting? Is it around 80f in the day and high 60s at night?

https://www.internetreptile.com/arcadia-reptile-ceramic-heater-100w/

Need to get a thermostat for it too... any UK recommendations? I can't find any photos or videos of how to set it up.

PXL_20201024_125625284.jpg
Charlotte