Reptizoo Supersun

amadi_47

Location (City and/or State)
Selangor, Malaysia
Hello everyone. Today I changed my MVB from Exo Terra solar glo to Reptizoo Supersun just to explore.

But I am quite concern with the colour output of the MVB. Solar glo has a yellowish tinge while supersun has a lighter yellow colour. I can feel the heat on the supersun but I checked the UV radiation from the bulb using the UV cards.

It seems solar glo has higher UV output than the reptizoo supersun.

I worry my new MVB supersun has a defect or is it functioning normally?

Can anyone help. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mercury vapor bulbs are not recommended any more. They are too intense with the heat and cause pyramiding even with the high humidity tortoises need at a young age.
What species of tortoise do you have and size of enclosure?
Best to use a tube floursecnt, Arcadia are the best ones and use ceramic heat emitters or reptile heat panels for heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The mercury vapor bulbs are not recommended any more. They are too intense with the heat and cause pyramiding even with the high humidity tortoises need at a young age.
What species of tortoise do you have and size of enclosure?
Best to use a tube floursecnt, Arcadia are the best ones and use ceramic heat emitters or reptile heat panels for heat.
Agreed. The MVB provide inconsistent uvb levels and project the uvb and heat in a way that isn't ideal. They're also expensive and don't last very long.
Get yourself a T5 ho strip florescent uvb tube lamp. The long strip. Not the spiral or coiled one for your UVB needs and a CHE or ceramic heat emitter for warmth day and night. It provides heat without any light.

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Thanks for the reply. I will try to find a long tube light for my sulcata 1 kg now. As for the brands, I can only find exo terra and repti zoo. Arcadia MVB are only available in this country, Malaysia.

For heating I think it's okay, the temperature never drops to 25 degrees and below at night and with the MVB, I got about 35 degrees at the hottest section.

The size of the enclosure is 3 feet by 5 feet for now. Figured I need to expand a bit more within this year. I only worry my sulcata does not get the right wavelengths.

So far no pyramiding and I have a two feet T8 repti glo uvb 10.0 installed since.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I will sure replace those MVBs soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply. I will try to find a long tube light for my sulcata 1 kg now. As for the brands, I can only find exo terra and repti zoo. Arcadia MVB are only available in this country, Malaysia.

For heating I think it's okay, the temperature never drops to 25 degrees and below at night and with the MVB, I got about 35 degrees at the hottest section.

The size of the enclosure is 3 feet by 5 feet for now. Figured I need to expand a bit more within this year. I only worry my sulcata does not get the right wavelengths.

So far no pyramiding and I have a two feet T8 repti glo uvb 10.0 installed since.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I will sure replace those MVBs soon.
You really don't need indoor UV in your country. Just make a safe outdoor enclosure and let the tortoise(s) have some outdoor time a couple three times a week for an hour or more.

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Thanks Tom. I was planning on it.
You really don't need indoor UV in your country. Just make a safe outdoor enclosure and let the tortoise(s) have some outdoor time a couple three times a week for an hour or more.
Thanks Tom. I was planning on it.