Outside temp?

tryme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi

What will the outside temp need to be in order for my tort to go out?

What about night time temp?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
65 degrees if sunny. At night down to 55 will be OK outside. If lower at night they may try to burrow deep.

If it's a cloudy day I wait until it's around 75 before putting them out.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
This may be hard in england.

Id be interested to know how many other u.k guys get their torts out and how often

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If they have a dry place to retreat to I believe some of the English keepers allow their Russians to live outdoors and even hibernate outdoors over the winter. That said, different parts of England have different micro climates.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don;t live in the UK, but my russian stays out in the if it is above 60'. I bring him in at night.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I live in the Pacific NW. Our latitude is a bit further South than yours (45d, yours is 51d).
Our weather is similar to many areas of the UK.
If you create an outdoor enclosure with a cold frame or small greenhouse, especially if it has an electric source and thus a basking light, your tortoise can stay out year round April to September/October.
You can then overwinter the tortoise inside, or decide to brumate him (a whole different topic).

As far as temps, Russians (Horsfields) can tolerate colder night temps into the upper 40's, IF they can bask to warm up. Either artificially, or on a sunny day when the sun comes up and warms up gravel/paver areas.
You can't just judge keeping your tortoise outside by air temps, as the ground temp on gray gravel or pavers can be a lot warmer. I have had Russian tortoises basking when the air temps are 10c (50f), but their shell temps were 29c (85f)!

So....if you don't have a cold frame/GH, check the ground temps in the sun or a bright cloudy day. Their shells are very good at absorbing warmth. :D