What temp for outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
WHat temp does it need to be minimum outside for my Russian? I am over in NJ and just started putting him outside, but I am reading he needs a basking spot of 90-100? There is no way it's getting that warm in there. Do I have to add a lamp over an outside enclosure because that would be difficult for me - no outside outlets. Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
On sunny days, even in the UK, at ground level it gets surprisingly warm in full sun in a sheltered spot. You tort will find these places :)

If there is no sun, let him bask indoors to warm up and then pop him out to trundle. If he gets cold and starts to dig in, bring him back in again.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Probably. Or you could put him out for a while and see how he feels about that temp. They don't have to be at a constant 80 degrees.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dreamwallaby said:
So if it's only 75 outside and cloudy I should keep him in right?
No - let him go out when he's warmed up under the basking lamp then he can benefit from the natural UVB. UVB can pass through clouds. (I found this out to my cost when I was teenager by getting my worst ever sunburn on an overcast summer's day :()

He'll cool down fairly quickly and can't recharge by sunbathing so bring him in at the point he starts to dig in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its in the 60's, sunny, and not windy, you should be fine to let him get some sun. They know how to find the warm spots.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Tom said:
If its in the 60's, sunny, and not windy, you should be fine to let him get some sun. They know how to find the warm spots.

Would this still apply if he's not out on the actual dirt? I'll have mine on a balcony up 5 stories in his own 6x2 enclosure with about 4-6 inches of Eco-Earth coconut mix substrate - would he be OK in that enclosure to take out if the temperates are in the 60's and above? I too can't add a lighting fixture out there...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Balconies often warm up quicker than the earth if they're in direct sun... the concrete absorbs the heat readily.

He'll still get UV on a balcony :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Dreamwallaby said:
WHat temp does it need to be minimum outside for my Russian? I am over in NJ and just started putting him outside, but I am reading he needs a basking spot of 90-100? There is no way it's getting that warm in there. Do I have to add a lamp over an outside enclosure because that would be difficult for me - no outside outlets. Thanks

At this time of year of in your climate there is no reason why any temperate climate tortoise can't be outdoors 24/7. The basking temperature that you're referring too applies to indoors. In reality even that is not a "chiseled in stone" rule. Outdoors, tortoises can more easily seek their own basking, hide and other areas if given some basic care requirements. Outdoor living does them a world of good.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I would invest in an infrared temperature gun. I use mine all the time. Although the daily high in San Diego is usually in the 70s right now, the ground temp in direct sun is usually well above 100 degrees.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wild Russian tortoises become active with a minimum air temperature of 68*F, as long as it is reasonably sunny and not too windy. At higher temperatures, they may become active even if the sun is not out. They may continue to be active in temperatures up to the high 80s F. If it's too cold or too hot, they will remain in their burrows, where the temperature is more stable. They also need sunshine to bask and warm up their bodies to about 95*F, so they can digest their food.

Status
Not open for further replies.