RT temp

Tort1419

Ok so I live in IN and will be getting ab rt I hope to keep him in an outdoor enclosure but I have two big concerns, number one is heat, what temp. Range for the day is suitable for him and what range for the night, also will I need a basking lamp for outside, my second concern is rain in the summer it rains slot I'm thinking about putting up a tarp , the tarp won't cover the enclosure but it will be above it so no rain will get in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is best to have an indoor AND an outdoor enclosure. Leave your tortoise outside when the weather is decent, bring it in when its not so good.

The temperature range is going to vary depending on the season, the weather, the age and size of the tortoise, etc... With hot days, russians can handle night temps in the 50's. With proper shelter, they can handle daytime highs of 120+, like in Vegas.

There are just so many ways to look at this question. Suitable, ideal, survivable... I'll put my young russians outside when temps are 60, if I know the high that day will be 75+. On the other hand if its 68 and overcast, and not getting any warmer, I'll leave them inside. Once the temps climb past the high 80s, russians tend to run for cover and wait out the heat. I make underground shelters for mine that stay at more moderate temperatures and they do just fine outside all day.

Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

Tort1419

Thank you tom this has answered all of my questions except what type of wood can I use to build an outdoor enclosures and what age should I start putting the russian tort outside during the day and lastly should I have the predator cover over it at all times or just during the night

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you tom this has answered all of my questions except what type of wood can I use to build an outdoor enclosures and what age should I start putting the russian tort outside during the day and lastly should I have the predator cover over it at all times or just during the night

I like to put brand new hatchlings outside in a safe enclosure for about an hour a day. As they gain size, I leave them out longer and longer.

I would have a cover at all times to keep predators out, and tortoises in. Russians are notorious escape artists. I am convinced they can levitate, but only do it when no people are watching. One day I will catch them in the act! My Russian pens are built inside a giant cage with a roof and buried wire 18" deep.

I use plywood and regular pine 2x4s to make enclosures. I've also used pressure treated lumber for some outdoor applications with no issues.