RT compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I have a 4" Male RT and a 6" Female RT. When I put them together, she rams him often. Today, I caught her biting his shell. I have kept them in separate enclosures for this reason. Is separation going to be a permanent necessity? or will they eventually get along? :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He probably has "designs" on her and she's not receptive at this time. She's establishing her place in the top dog system. Its usually the males that pester the females. But if you leave them alone under supervision, they will eventually sort it out.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
He probably has "designs" on her and she's not receptive at this time. She's establishing her place in the top dog system. Its usually the males that pester the females. But if you leave them alone under supervision, they will eventually sort it out.
Thanks Yvonne. I'll keep trying.:rolleyes:

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
As long as you are absolutely sure the bigger one is a female?
I'm sure, ty. Can damage be done if I don't keep them separated?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
They can do damage. Even if they don't break the skin, or damage the shell with repeated rammings, the bullied tort can become withdrawn. Especially an issue in a tort table, where there are less escape spots as there would be in the wild.
If it is relentless or frequent, keep a very close eye out and best to keep them separated for the sanity of the smaller tort.
If both torts are active, eating well, using the basking light, then the activity may be more harmless.

DolanKoops

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise and I'm debating weather to get another one I'm worried that this might happen

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Thanks Lynne.... My enclosure is 2' X 6' with a partition to keep them separate. I'll just have to keep an eye on them when they are outside together. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.