Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I am new at this forum stuff and don't know if I'm doing it properly; But, I have a couple questions I would like answers to. I've had a RT for about 3 mos., a male, 4". I just adopted a Female RT 6-7". Can I put them together? I haven't introduced them to each other yet. They are in separate 45 gal. tubs. Indoors except on warm, sunny days. We live in Northern Utah. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.:tort: Whoops. One other question. My adoptee came with 2 very large containers of "Fortified Daily Diet" from Rep-Cal. Should I use this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lynn:

Navigating the forum gets easier with use. And don't worry about doing it right or wrong. If you put something in the wrong place, we'll move it for you. :p

Its always a good idea to quarantine tortoises for at least a couple months before putting them together. Its also good to get fecals examined at the vet's from both of them.

I don't like to use any of that "fruity pebbles" manufactured food that they make for tortoises. The only one I use is Mazuri Tortoise Diet. It was made especially for the Galapagos tortoises kept in zoos, then mfg'd to sell to the general public.

Fresh greens is always the best way to go. Even better is allowing the tortoises to graze outside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new little one.... just a couple things :D

I would quarantine your new one from the other one for awhile to make sure all is healthy (and actually you have had them both for a short time so want to make sure they are both healthy)

I would always advice that when you introduce tortoise to a group that is a pair always keep a keen eye on them, as pairs sometimes have issues with fighting or pestering to the point of extreme stress....

If you indeed have the smaller male and the bit larger female then the chances for the female are a bit more even, but not much. Males can be very irritating to the female, if you have a male and a female together only the male can be a constant pest by wanting to mate, constantly. Males can become very agressive in his desires...so just keep an eye out when you do finally put them together. If all goes well then you will just want to make sure you have now adequate+ space to house two together...but be prepared that you may have a pair that will not get along and may have to keep them in their own housing...

Also, natural food is better, in my opinion. But if that food came with the tortoise then likely that is what he has been fed, so you may have to introduce good stuff with the less desirable stuff until you can eventually decrease the less than good stuff out of the diet.....WE LOVE PICS :D:D

This is totally in my opinion....if you wait a bit you will get some other folks giving you their knowledge and opinions as well.... :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
ascott said:
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new little one.... just a couple things :D

I would quarantine your new one from the other one for awhile to make sure all is healthy (and actually you have had them both for a short time so want to make sure they are both healthy)

I would always advice that when you introduce tortoise to a group that is a pair always keep a keen eye on them, as pairs sometimes have issues with fighting or pestering to the point of extreme stress....

If you indeed have the smaller male and the bit larger female then the chances for the female are a bit more even, but not much. Males can be very irritating to the female, if you have a male and a female together only the male can be a constant pest by wanting to mate, constantly. Males can become very agressive in his desires...so just keep an eye out when you do finally put them together. If all goes well then you will just want to make sure you have now adequate+ space to house two together...but be prepared that you may have a pair that will not get along and may have to keep them in their own housing...

Also, natural food is better, in my opinion. But if that food came with the tortoise then likely that is what he has been fed, so you may have to introduce good stuff with the less desirable stuff until you can eventually decrease the less than good stuff out of the diet.....WE LOVE PICS :D:D

This is totally in my opinion....if you wait a bit you will get some other folks giving you their knowledge and opinions as well.... :p

2nd this ^^^^

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have to house my male and female Russian tortoises separately, because when I used to keep them together, sometimes the male would harass the female (once for food, and several time for courtship, even though neither one is mature yet). They still see each other sometimes outside of their own pens, but only while I'm around. Someday when they're ready to breed, I'll let them interact more. But at this point, it makes no sense to let the female get nipped for no reason.

BTW - This is in stark contrast to the male and female boxies I used to keep together in the same pen, because they got along with each other just fine. I've heard similar things about other tortoise species, too. Most usually tolerate each other quite well, but Russian males just seem to be aggressive. Probably an adaptation to limited resources in the harsh environments of Central Asia where they come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.