Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
This summer i will be putting my two redroot torts outside. I will be building an outdoor pen for them under my trees. I live in Rochester New York. What I want to ask do i have to worry about hawks and other lager birds trying to get them. Jelly bean is 5inches and truffle is 7 inches. I was going to use chicken wire for the pen.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I would screen the top unless you are going to sit out there with them better me safe than sorry :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that they're too big for predatory birds, but would be concerned about raccoons and coyotes.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
yagyujubei said:
I think that they're too big for predatory birds, but would be concerned about raccoons and coyotes.

A hawk can pick up a small dog or a rabbit they would have no problem picking up a little tort

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
coreyc said:
yagyujubei said:

A hawk can pick up a small dog or a rabbit they would have no problem picking up a little tort

Yes they would. A tortoise shell is hard and round, far more difficult to grip than a mammal.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Shelly said:
coreyc said:
yagyujubei said:

Yes they would. A tortoise shell is hard and round, far more difficult to grip than a mammal.
[/quo
I agree with the shape but all a hawk has to do is get a talon on the the head or a leg then fly away or not fly away just injury the tort with a talon why risk it

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is sorta up to you and to what level of chance taking your up to. The more things you do to create a secure habitat, the more peace of mind you will have and the less chance of losing a tortoise (or both of them). That said, I will say currently my redfoot enclosure has no cover on the top. It's a bit large to put one on it. I have more concerns myself about the coons then the birds of prey. You said it's going in under trees. How difficult would it be to make it covered, if you decide to go that route?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
a secure sturdy screen top may work well.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yea I would be more concerned about coons, foxes smaller mammals like that but the thread was about large birds :) If it has a top it will keep them all out its a win win :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
coreyc said:
If it has a top it will keep them all out its a win win :D

You would think so, but other things need to be looked at too. Like how big is the enclosure? How are the walls of the enclosure being supported and can it then also support the weight of the roof? Are the trees actually in part of it? If you have a solid top, branches from the tree and certainly leaf removal needs to be thought about. Tops can cause issues with what your growing as far as plants inside at times too. Just be sure too, that you make the top high enough you can easily work inside the enclosure. Tops also (if you live in a snow area) hold the snow. Will your top be strong enough for the added weight of the snow? Fortunately with this being redfoots, the shade created by a roofing (blocking off some of the sunlight advantage needed for some species) isn't a factor.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
If your worried about predators getting a tort outside you make a enclosure to keep them out :D or run a risk of them getting the tort or you keep the tort in side no risk :D But we all know they need to be outside so if some one has animals around they need to make enclosure so they cant get in again why risk it be safe not sorry:p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We keep ours under 1 pound under wire, the rest roam and have never had an issue.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
ALDABRAMAN said:
We keep ours under 1 pound under wire, the rest roam and have never had an issue.

Same here. And I have lots of raccoons, opossums, feral cats AND the occasional hawk. I've lost 1 chicken and a couple turtles, but never had a tortoise touched in 15 years. I fixed the turtle problem by deepening their pond.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
Well you all were very helpful. my mom thinks this idea is nuts but let me run passed all of you. Both my Redfoots are under a pound. I was at home depot yesterday and saw a outdoor dog kennl. You can buy them in all different size from 4ft by6ft to a 7 by 7 or lager. And for most of them you can buy a shade cover. I think is a good way to keep them safe out side. They will only be outside in summber and spring well as long has the nights don't drop below 70.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tabatha:

On a different thread you had made the comment that you're keeping your redfoot tortoise on aspen shavings. I just wanted to let you know that aspen really isn't a good substrate for redfoots as they require a moist substrate and aspen can't be moistened. I think its really good that you're working on how to keep your tortoise when the weather permits it to be outside! There are a couple folks on here who use the kennels you're talking about. I'll try to find one of them and give you a link (a little later..I have to go outside and do my chores right now).

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
coreyc said:
yagyujubei said:

Nope, that's not how it works. They don't pick up animals and fly with them. A hawk will eat it on the ground since a small dog or rabbit is way way way too heavy for a hawk to fly with. Just not happening. Falcons too. Maybe an eagle could do it, but carrying prey is not at all how they hunt. Consider the weight difference between a small dog and a hawk. That small dog weighs way more. A BIG hawk will weigh 2 maybe 3 pounds. It will only be able to fly with about half or less of its body weight in addition.

Honestly, a hawk isn't something I'd consider a threat for a tortoise at all. Hawks are birds of habit who take the easiest prey possible. If it doesn't know something is food or that it can kill it easily it will not try (unless it's starving or some other extreme situation.) For them to learn what kinds of foods are "good" they have to be taught by their parents by having the parents maim an animal and letting the child make the kill. Without that, they don't view it as food. So unless a local hawk recently took a redfoot or some other tortoise, maimed it, and let the children make the kill then your torts are fine (and since you may be the only one with torts around you I'd say it's pretty safe to say if you have/haven't lost any torts lately :p).

You are far more likely to get a cat, raccoon, fox or what you have than you are to have any problems with hawks. Everyone always says you will and thinks you will, but there are many factors that make me believe you won't. They are commonly misunderstood as "threats".

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am in the process of turning a dog kennel into a turtle pen. When I finish I have another one that will be for my CDTs. I got both of mine from people that had lost their houses due to forclosure. One was given to me,after I bought a shed the other I paid $50.00 for. I would place an ad on Craigs List. Say you are looking for a dog kennel and you can not aford to pay much.
I live in an area with birds of prey and other critters also. One has a chain link top the other I will put bird netting on. Good Luck!

wildponey21

5 Year Member
I posted an add on craigs list about a dog kennel and have to replys. I don't want to have to buy aew if i don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.