Overweight Tortoise?

kai.oki

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
I was just after a bit of advice regarding the weight of my tortoise. She's currently a very big fan of eating, but is unfortunately very inactive. She spends most of the day basking under her light, napping under her heat lamp, and wandering around a tiny bit in between to search out the best food options. She has gone from 210 grams to 250 grams in the last 15 days! (She is 11.5cm in length and 11cm in width.) The main reason I ask is that I rarely see her totally pull herself into her shell any more...a part of me wonders if she can.

Weeds are not in good supply at this time of year, and so her current diet is comprised of lamb's lettuce, endive, escarole, radicchio, kale, and occasionally small amounts of romaine lettuce. She has a few edible plants in her enclosure too (Callisia) but she rarely eats them- maybe 4-5 leaves a couple of times a week.

Any thoughts / opinions from more knowledgeable tortoise owners would be most welcome :) Many thanks!

Attachments

• Boofie-1.JPG
    Boofie-1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Boofie-2.JPG
    Boofie-2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Boofie-3.JPG
    Boofie-3.JPG
    924.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Boofie-4.JPG
    Boofie-4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • Boofie-5.JPG
    Boofie-5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Looks to be a little on the chubby side, I would get her outside for some exercise.:)

Someone on the forum once described Russian torts as natures little piggy’s........ can’t recall who though.

Bee62

Germany
I am always glad when my torts are good eating and I don`t see that your tort is overweighted.
You feed the right food. Maybe you can add some herbs like dandelions too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't see any problems from the pics. As for withdrawing mine never really do it. They love to earmt and eat and eat and eat, just when you think they are done they eat some more. Natures little piggies. Is it possible to take it outdoors in l Iike a dog run or something?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Looks fine to me. Russians can get overweight, as they are intensely programmed to eat but so long as the enclosure is of adequate size it’s fine. What is the size of your enclosure?

Are you weighing your tortoise at the same time of day? Half of the weight you are talking about could be before and after going to the bathroom.

There are days when my Russian eats so much I’m afraid she will explode but she’s outside and walks it off.