Overwhelmed by info, new owner...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
:tort:A warm welcome to the :tort:forum.

Don't worry:confused: don't panic: you'll get the help you need. At the same time please be ready to receive conflicting info as well. (I do not mean to demoralize you). Take it easy and good luck.

Littlest Hobo

Thanks mini max (and everyone).
The uvb bulb I have is like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-Com...58084&sr=8-1&keywords=D3+compact+reptile+lamp). Except it is 7% - is this a coil one? Not really sure what that means. i have a ceramic fixture for it.
Then I have a seperate desk lamp with a 40watt bulb. I will get a thermometer today so that I can check temperature. This morning he has come out and is basking and has eaten a tiny bit of kale (although don't think he is too impressed with it!).

Sounds like I need to get a CHE too for over night.

Bit lost on the substrate. Should I be using soil (damp), or sticking with the dry substrate I have been advised by the breeder? Or perhaps a mix? I know they like to dig about. The table is purpose built (they've been making the same design for 13 years) so im guessing it is treated. When you say i should be poring water on the soil...? Surely russians come from a very arid climate?

Thanks so much

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thanks mini max (and everyone).
The uvb bulb I have is like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-Compact-Reptile-Lamp-Watt/dp/B001AARC7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423558084&sr=8-1&keywords=D3 compact reptile lamp). Except it is 7% - is this a coil one? Not really sure what that means. i have a ceramic fixture for it.
Then I have a seperate desk lamp with a 40watt bulb. I will get a thermometer today so that I can check temperature. This morning he has come out and is basking and has eaten a tiny bit of kale (although don't think he is too impressed with it!).

Sounds like I need to get a CHE too for over night.

Bit lost on the substrate. Should I be using soil (damp), or sticking with the dry substrate I have been advised by the breeder? Or perhaps a mix? I know they like to dig about. The table is purpose built (they've been making the same design for 13 years) so im guessing it is treated. When you say i should be poring water on the soil...? Surely russians come from a very arid climate?

Thanks so much
I've used ones like that and although its not physically in a coil shape people consider it one of the coil UVBs... then again I never had any problems with them so I'm not the person to speak in regards to UVBs.

For substrate you're going to need something that holds moisture, They may come from arid areas, but they dig down deep(er than we can provide) to get to more moist soil. Having moisture wont harm your tortoise unless the temperatures drop below 60, warm and humid is good, cold and humid is asking for a sick tort. What type of soil you use is up to you, I personally use Coco Coir/'Eco-Earth (or various other names people could probably give you) mixed with just regular dirt from my yard since it was free and I wanted to make sure he had plenty to dig in. Then Orchid Bark (Cypress mulch works too) on top because you'd quickly learn how messy soil alone could be!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
His eyes are close today. Is he sick?
Are they still closed? if you pick him up does he open them? Try soaking him if not. When tortoises are first put in a new place they get stressed. Are you using the UVB light you mentioned above? If so try turning it off and see if his eyes open.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Hey welcome to TFO! Fellow UK RT owner here :)

- I feed a mixture of grown weeds and Florette mix salad (they sell it at most supermarkets)
- I have my UVB bulb on 11-13 hours a day (basically as long as I'm awake) and he may wake up a little before but I'll soak him once when he wakes up and around my dinner time and he normally eats loads after each soak
- I keep mine purely on coir, although I may try top soil eventually as moisture is key. However good moisture is, keeping the temps up is always important and cold + humid leads to an RI
- When I first got my tort they told me to keep him on dry substrate (even packed him on blue tissue paper) and his eyes stayed shut until I bathed him properly. Give him some time, they can make you super paranoid but they're naturally slow creatures. Plus if he's been moved about a lot and being introduced to new environments he's gonna be a little stressed out.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Hi, I believe that bulb is in the category of ones not to use. My tortoise got puffy eyes and generally slept and kept his eyes closed a lot when I first got him, and this was rectified when I removed that uvb bulb. Your tortoise needs a basking spot that gets around 95 degrees, and I don't think a 40w regular light bulb will achieve that. I am using a 100 watt basking lamp, which is designed to throw heat, and a Che together to achieve the appropriate temps, in an open top enclosure in a house thats also rather cold.

If it is just a normal 40w light bulb and not a basking light bulb from a pet shop itdoesn't provide uva, or enough heat. We are trying to simulate natural sunlight, so both uvb and uvb are necessary. If you can do so, I would recommend getting an all in one Mercury vapor bulb from the pet store. You can screw it into that ceramic fixture you already have.

When my tortoise is too cold, he is very still, and just sits there looking like he's sleeping. My guess is, in addition to being in that new phase, he needs to be warmed up.

And yes, you keep the soil or coco coir damp just as you would for a potted plant. In natural settings, it is only the surface of the ground that's dry. Coco coir comes in this compressed brick at either the pet shop or garden center. You have to mix it with water to reconstitute it, so it is moist from the get go. I literally water it with a watering can every few days.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
But don't put him into any humid substrate until you can ensure you are hitting the right temps. If it is too cold and damp, he will get sick for sure!

Littlest Hobo

This is brilliant - thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate all the input and advice, it's wonderful. And lovely not to feel alone!

Just want to make the little guy happy. Looks like i need to do some fiddling with the lighting/bulbs. But I got loads of things today including soil and thermostats, so I'm moving in the right direction. I'm a bit annoyed that the breeder sold me a 'starter kit' that does not include the right things. They pride themselves in good tort care and they were supremely helpful without trying to sell me anything so I like them, but it does seem that they did not get it right with lighting and temp.

Anyway. Hopefully I will just need to move him one more time (from his temporary house i made to his big tort table) when i've got it all together in a few hours. Poor little guy, it's been a tough week for him.

Thank you thank you. No doubt I will have more questions as I go along!

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Happy shopping! It's so funny, because I was in your exact position 3 months ago. I've learned so much in those 3 months from the wonderful people on this wonderful site. Cheers!

Littlest Hobo

Hi all. So it is day 2. He still seems to keep his eyes closed most of the time. Even before i had the Uvb light rigged up. Could it be that i have the basking light too close (i've got a thermostat to check temp)? It seems that the basking light will be bright whatever height it is at.

I'm looking at other bulbs and options online but am really confused by what to get. It seems like the combination mercury vapor ones have mixed reviews (ie they often blow out early). But i don't see any other uvb bulbs other than the one i have or the coil one. And then which basking bulb do i get? Is anyone able to send links to products that they use so I can have a look? (From a personal point of view how do you manage with your own eyes?! I am being blinded every time i go and watch him!).
Last night I had to leave his spot on just to maintain heat (until i get a way to sort the ambient temp in my room). He didn't bury himself last night like the night before. He is exploring occasionally though (mostly with eyes closed), eating a little, and his eyes open when he has his bath and he is very feisty when i handle him and bath him.

He's done no digging since i put him on top soil (I've put a layer of chip on top too). Is that just because he is getting used to his new home, or have I used the wrong thing? I made his covered area half dry only, in case he wanted to dig about in that, but he doesn't really go under there.
Here is what I have done so far in the pic. I've put his food on slate but he normally just drags it off somewhere to eat it. I'm off to get a heater now to make the ambient temp of my room better.
Thanks

Attachments

• P1050052.jpg
    P1050052.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 20

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I'd say that coil bulb is the reason he's having problems. For uva/uvb I use the arcadia basking light, its 100w and is guaranteed for a year. Also your heat lamp I would make sure is pointing directly downwards to get the optimal effect.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
Hello and welcome! It's tough, but try not to stress. Everyone is here to help. Best of luck to you and your new baby!
:<3::tort::<3:

Littlest Hobo

thank you. I actually just lifted the lamp a little as it was too warm under there. It's showing 37 degrees C now but i'll try and straighten it out. I'll have a look for the right bulb. Can I put one of those bulbs in a regular lamp like I have? Or do I need to use the ceramic light fitting?

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
thank you. I actually just lifted the lamp a little as it was too warm under there. It's showing 37 degrees C now but i'll try and straighten it out. I'll have a look for the right bulb. Can I put one of those bulbs in a regular lamp like I have? Or do I need to use the ceramic light fitting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004G62A...lid=37TA16B7Z0AQW&coliid=I2CU50OCLK2HM1&psc=1

That's the lamp I use, it's an E27 fitting which I think most desk lamps are usually anyway. Be warned though, basking lamps are quite wide so usual lamp covers may be a little tight. It's good that you're making improvements :) everyone has to start somewhere.

Littlest Hobo

It is interesting that everyone here is recommending damp substrate as the breeders are insisting that Horsfields are better on dry with regular bathing, and that soil can irritate their eyes etc. So hard to know what to do. Argh!

I'm worried about him this morning. He still hasn't opened his eyes and was very still when I bathed him for the first time (normally he is on a mission!). I left the lamp on again last night for warmth as he seems to want to be in the hot corner all the time. I am trying to get a night heat emitter but the store is out and delivery online is slow. I have also raised the ambient temp of the room to try and help him too, but he clearly wants super warm temps.

Last night he was perky and eating loads and seemed good. Today he is more still and not as enthused by his food.

In terms of the lighting, apparently the breeders have been using this bulb type for 10 years with theirs, and all are well and healthy. It is a uva/uvb combi so he doesn't need uva from the basking bulb, and the regular lamp is achieving good temperatures. It just means he spends most of his time in the corner!

Also - what should his poo be like? It seems a bit loose, but then I've not seen tort poo before!

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
When I got my tort, even after months on here, the lady told me they're a 'dry' species and will get sick if they got too humid. However it's just not in their nature, they live predominantly in rainy countries within forests, not deserts. They may have dry spouts but that doesn't mean the younglings do well in that arid atmosphere.

Littlest Hobo

Hi guys. So I've had Alan at home for nearly a week now and I am still worried! I have worked out all the temperatures and so on. But he seems to be more and more subdued as the days go by. He basks or sleeps most of the time (is that right?) and doesn't interact as much for baths. He just wants to get back in his basking spot. He is eating (though not as much as the first few days) and he is not doing any exploring, just to his food slate and back to his basking spot.

Because i am worried my ambient temp may get to low for him at night, I have a heat pad under his basking spot area and I turn that on when i turn the light off. So he just buries his head and stays in that corner.

Do all these things sounds normal? His poo is still very runny but I guess he may be getting used to the changes still?

And the last thing... when he is basking, he does this funny thing where he sort of pulses his legs back every few seconds. He sort of does this all the time unless he is walking. Is this just breathing?! Is he unwell? It looks odd to me, but then I have never had a tort... I've got a vid of it, but can't upload vids on here... Anyone able to comment?