Owning a Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I could not find a care sheet on box turtles like some of the other specie specifics (tortoises). I am interested in these guys and was wondering on the care & recommended housing etc. I have been reading on line but there seem to be different views. The pet store said since they are only 4-5 inches a 40 gallon tank is enough for one. Also are there any good recommended books on Box turtles?

bmt123

5 Year Member
I do not think that they can live in that size aquarium. In fact I do not think they can live in an aquarium at all it is really essential that they live outside at least during the summer.

thelub

5 Year Member
box turtles get stressed out when they are in a tank. They need as large of an enclosure as you can provide. I have mine in a 50gal rubbermade tote with about 4" of sphagnum moss in the bottom. They a moist substrate they can completely bury themselves in if they feel the need.

When the weather warms up around here I plan on building a pen of some sort outdoors so he can get his sun and fresh air all day

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
bmt123 said:
I do not think that they can live in that size aquarium. In fact I do not think they can live in an aquarium at all it is really essential that they live outside at least during the summer.

I am sorry I should of given more info.We own acres of land so I plan on having the turtle & tortoise living outside in an enclosure (each their own) at every opportunity when the weather allows. This was for the winter months. I did not think the tank was a good idea.

thelub said:
box turtles get stressed out when they are in a tank. They need as large of an enclosure as you can provide. I have mine in a 50gal rubbermade tote with about 4" of sphagnum moss in the bottom. They a moist substrate they can completely bury themselves in if they feel the need.

When the weather warms up around here I plan on building a pen of some sort outdoors so he can get his sun and fresh air all day

Thanks. I was also looking at the stock water troughs & the totes so love that idea. The only thing I like about the tank is the screen tops. My concern is we have dogs & cats. Maybe my hubby could find a way to make a wire lid of some sort to go over the tote & stock containers. Not getting one right now just researching as I find them interesting & enjoyed them where I purchased my baby leopard tort.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
I have a 100 gallon trough that I use and I built a frame out of wood and it has a screen top on most of it and a hinged door on part ( for changing water) and the frame is bolted right into the plastic tub and I padlock it at night . We have horrible "city raccoons " in Chicago and they will destroy the turtles if the cage had no lid

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
MasterOogway said:
I could not find a care sheet on box turtles like some of the other specie specifics (tortoises). I am interested in these guys and was wondering on the care & recommended housing etc. I have been reading on line but there seem to be different views. The pet store said since they are only 4-5 inches a 40 gallon tank is enough for one. Also are there any good recommended books on Box turtles?

I like this website for good information :

http://www.boxturtlesite.info/

Status
Not open for further replies.