Location (City and/or State)
Mty, México
Hiii,
I am an owner of a female Texas tortoise, and I’ve been strategically thinking of owning a second one.
But because my tortoise is a rescue (she is calm and loving) it’s hard to own another Texas tortoise where I live, and where I live they are a low concern endangered species.
So I was thinking if it’s possible to own another tortoise, even if they are a different species.
And if I can , which species you recommend?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do you have two enclosures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiii,
I am an owner of a female Texas tortoise, and I’ve been strategically thinking of owning a second one.
But because my tortoise is a rescue (she is calm and loving) it’s hard to own another Texas tortoise where I live, and where I live they are a low concern endangered species.
So I was thinking if it’s possible to own another tortoise, even if they are a different species.
And if I can , which species you recommend?
What is your climate like? How high is the humidity? What are the typical daily highs in summer and what are the typical nightly lows in winter? How much space do you have for another enclosure?

Mty, México
What is your climate like? How high is the humidity? What are the typical daily highs in summer and what are the typical nightly lows in winter? How much space do you have for another enclosure?
Where I live, it has a really extreme climate; it can be extremely hot during the day and raining cold 3 hours later.
So I keep my tortoise in a controlled environment in an indoor enclosure.
But I take her out to sunbathe for a couple hours daily.
The humidity here is around 30–50% in winter and 50–70% in summer.
Daily highs in summer are around 104 °F to 107.6 °F.
Daily highs in winter are around 82.4°F–89.6°F.
And I have a lot of space for another enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With those temps, your tort should be able to live outside with shade, misters and a heated night box for any of those cold times.

Mty, México
With those temps, your tort should be able to live outside with shade, misters and a heated night box for any of those cold times.
Yeah, the problem is that I do not own only torts; I have big dogs, and they can be a bit aggressive with her. They are my sister's, but she is moving out soon, so I am saving up for an outdoor enclosure, to have an indoor and an outdoor.
I would do the same if I got another tort

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, the problem is that I do not own only torts; I have big dogs, and they can be a bit aggressive with her. They are my sister's, but she is moving out soon, so I am saving up for an outdoor enclosure, to have an indoor and an outdoor.
I would do the same if I got another tort
House the tortoises in a large outdoor cage to protect them from the dogs. You can use a large dog kennel, or chicken coup. Or attach several of those together to make something larger. Here is an example:
IMG_7276.jpg

Mty, México
Be sure you have the space for the proper size enclosures. So many newbies build a 4x8 thinking that's big enough, when that size is recommended as a minimum for Russians and Hermanns, not every species.

House the tortoises in a large outdoor cage to protect them from the dogs. You can use a large dog kennel, or chicken coup. Or attach several of those together to make something larger. Here is an example:
View attachment 372746
Thank you so much for the idea!