Painted Turtles- who knows anything about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
So, I know this is a tortoise forum, but I figure people around here know stuff about turtles, too :p And I know I should post this in the turtle section but it's kind of an urgent situation.

At any rate, I work at Petco. Today, some IDIOT brought a painted turtle in in an icecream bucket with an inch of water in it. He had caught it at a pond about two hours away, and "wanted to keep it" (of course). I hate seeing a wild animal forced into a captive situation, so I tried my hardest to deter them, and I guess it wasn't that hard. He wanted to keep the poor thing in an 8" by 12" critter container thing. I then showed him a three year old RES that we have for adoption that someone brought in to the store, and told him it wasn't even full grown (I honestly don't know if it was, I don't know turtles :p) and showed him the 40 gallon tanks and their price tag, as well as the filters. I told him he could always release it back into the wild, he seemed a little unsure, and the idiot girl with him said (and I quote) "just keep him for now and when he gets that big you can throw him away or whatever". It was then that I decided there was no way in hell this guy was leaving the store with that turtle. So, I used my last resort and showed him the UVB bulbs and explained how he'd still have to buy heat lamps and everything.

Needless to say, I won. He asked where the closest pond, and I told him that I lived close to one and would release it on my way home from work... well I actually don't have a pond anywhere near my house, and will be making the drive out to one tomorrow.

I have two questions:
- The turtle is in a twenty gallon tank, with about 3 inches of water on the bottom, and a rock that he can get out of the water on. I also have an infared bulb over the rock to at least keep part of the tank warm. Is that a good temporary thing?

-What is the *ideal* wild habitat for a painted turtle? The lake I'm planning on is stocked with fish and I've seen plenty of red eared sliders there. There are a lot of people there, but it's a huge lake and most of the people hang around the big dock that I will probably not be releasing him anywhere near.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place, but I want the best for the little guy (even if he isn't mine :p)

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Painted turtles live in ponds. I'm sure they can be found in streams and rivers, but ponds are where they are usually found. They thrive in them.As for the temporary situation, it depends on how long you will keep him. if you release him tomorrow, a tank filled half way with a rock so he can get out of the water is fine. As far as light goes, UVB and a heat lamp are ideal, but not necessary if he's only gonna be in there till the morning. You are doing the right thing by releasing him/ her back to the wild.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Well it's past midnight here, so I will definitely be waiting until the morning, but I don't want to keep him out of the wild too much longer then that.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
More than fine til morning.

Aquatics go by a rule of 1 inch per turtle = 10 gallon tank.

Put him in a nice pond, he'll be happy. :)

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I'm glad you are releasing it. For the most part, long front nails mean male and shorter nails, female. Males are smaller than females. Females crawl out to lay eggs. Rarely do they leave the water for anything else. If you can, Try to let it go at a pond that has a good amount of life in it ;-)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Way to go!!!! Good job with pointing out the cost of keeping that "free" turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might also mention (if there ever is a next time) that it is usually against the law to capture native turtles without a license, and its a pretty hefty fine if you're caught.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Just wanted to let everyone know that Henry (the turtle's temporary name) was released into the perfect spot today. I walked around this lake looking for a great spot, and happened upon a whole herd of Red Eared Slider turtles sunning themselves. There were probably 5 hatchlings, 2 or 3 young RES, and the mother of all RES, which was at least 10 inches, if not a full 12:
DSC_1271.JPG

I didn't see any painted turtles there but I figure even if there aren't any, he will be happy there.

Attachments

• DSC_1230 (640x424).jpg
    DSC_1230 (640x424).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great thing you did for that turtle. If the RES are OK there, then the Painted will do fine too. We have lots of ponds here and they have both RES and Painted's in them.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
What Terryo said. Very frequently find the two living in the same area. You'll also probably have stinkpots and snappers in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.