Palm Flowers?

PandaBear305

Hello All,

The Christmas palm tree (similar to the royal palm tree) in my back yard has started sprouting seeds and flowers. George, my 6year old sulcata, has recently started eating the dropped flowers before I could get the gardener to cut down the seeds. As you can see, these flowers are tiny and as much as I sweep them up, it will take me a while to completely clear the area. My question is: are these flowers safe for George to eat? I couldn't find any information (relating to tortoises) on whether this is toxic. I did find that it is not toxic to dogs and cats but again, they aren't tortoises. Along with a video of a tortoise eating the shelled nut (which he seemed to be enjoying) but no additional information. George only eats the poofy flowers. I know that the palm tree is in the Arecaceae family, genus adonidia which I haven't found on any toxic/non-toxic plant tortoise list. George is eating, pooping and acting normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20160509_143001849.jpg
    IMG_20160509_143001849.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have wondered this too. Safe as far as nutrient/toxic is one 'safe', another might be the size of those seeds and the size of the tortoise. I use a basic rule of thumb on seed size and tortoise size thinking several (10) seeds should be able to fit in their mouth at once to indicate small enough to not cause intestinal blockage. Seeds are a good thing for gut motility.

Many people who have iguanas let them eat various palm fruits which are at least one food item taken in nature. That is not an endorsement, but give you an chance to consider it might not be a worrisome bad thing.

I look forward to more replies.