Paranoid new tortoise mom!!!

Shann1422

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Trying to do everything right for my new tortoise. Can someone let me know if my Hermanns shell looks okay?? There’s some “dents” but i think that’s because she’s very adventurous?? Also she’s whistles/sneezes sometimes. Noticed to be more frequent after soaks attached are photos

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4975.jpeg
    IMG_4975.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4976.jpeg
    IMG_4976.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5002.jpeg
    IMG_5002.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4974.jpeg
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Her shell looks good. The scrape/dent, is likely what you said, scraping it on something.
The noises she's making. What are your temps?
Basking? All over? Night? And humidity?
Is she acting fine, eating good? Does she make those noises any other time?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Trying to do everything right for my new tortoise. Can someone let me know if my Hermanns shell looks okay?? There’s some “dents” but i think that’s because she’s very adventurous?? Also she’s whistles/sneezes sometimes. Noticed to be more frequent after soaks attached are photos
I have a 23year old Hermanns tortoise since he was a baby, and he has always made whistling noises at times - often, I think when he is exerting himself in some way. He sometimes sneezes after eating something squishy.
I don't think there is anything to worry about - just check that her nostrils are not blocked - it may be a little bit of water getting in her nose - you could dry her nose extra carefully after her soaks.
She looks great
Angie

Shann1422

Boston, MA
Her shell looks good. The scrape/dent, is likely what you said, scraping it on something.
The noises she's making. What are your temps?
Basking? All over? Night? And humidity?
Is she acting fine, eating good? Does she make those noises any other time?
Her basking temp is 90-100. Warm side in 80s, cool side in mid 70s. Humidity is high 50s. Yes she is eating good. She has been napping more under basking bulb. I’ve only noticed the noises while eating and after soaks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Her basking temp is 90-100. Warm side in 80s, cool side in mid 70s. Humidity is high 50s. Yes she is eating good. She has been napping more under basking bulb. I’ve only noticed the noises while eating and after soaks
Temps sound good. I think it may be more what zolasmum said and nothing to worry about. Clean and make sure nostrils are clear and then just keep eye open to any changes that aren't good. Otherwise might just be her thing.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is very pretty and looks healthy, I think.