Parasites in farm-raised Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand "farm raised" means captive bred in their native country and imported.

I got a Russian 1 week ago from one of the LLLReptile stores (not online). The guy said he was farm raised (giving me the definition above), and when I asked he said the tort wouldn't need to be checked for parasites.

Does anyone know if farm-raised torts tend to have too many parasites? I'd think they wouldn't be as stressed as wild caught, but still they're both being shipped overseas which has got to be pretty stressful.

Picture attached. I named him Shadowfax ^^

Attachments

• Shadowfax_01.jpg
    Shadowfax_01.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 31

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jon:

In my opinion, all steppe tortoises need to be checked for parasites at least once after you first get them. There's nothing to it, you just take a stool sample to the vet and he looks at it under the 'scope. If nothing is found, there is no harm done.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jon B said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand "farm raised" means captive bred in their native country and imported.

I got a Russian 1 week ago from one of the LLLReptile stores (not online). The guy said he was farm raised (giving me the definition above), and when I asked he said the tort wouldn't need to be checked for parasites.

Does anyone know if farm-raised torts tend to have too many parasites? I'd think they wouldn't be as stressed as wild caught, but still they're both being shipped overseas which has got to be pretty stressful.

Picture attached. I named him Shadowfax http://www.tortoiseforum.org/images/on.gif

Imported Russians are still wild caught. The term "farm raised" is being thrown around alot the past few years. It's a feel good term used to skirt the fact that they are still being taken from the wild since doing so is becoming increasingly frowned upon.

Any tortoise from any source can have parasites. In fact healthy long term captives do as well. Certain protozoa are an intregral part of a tortoises digestive system. When they become a problem is when a tortoise is highly stressed. It's immune system is weakened and the parasites can flourish out of control. This situation is most prevelant in newly wild caught tortoises.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ditto what GB said.

That farm raised term is just BS. I mean would you rather buy a tort thats labeled as farm raised or wild caught? Its entirely for sales only.

Jon B

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks for the responses. I'll see about getting him checked for parasites soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.