Pauline´s Devoted Walker

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I realized last June that my elderly mini schnautzer (nearly 13 yo) was experiencing pain in his left shoulder. He wasn´t complaining--brave little guy--but I noticed he was pulling it in. I did a little research and discovered a supplement on Amazon called Ricky Litchfield. It has buchu and salmon oils, which are anti-inflammatory, and it made a world a difference . . . for awhile.

Recently, his pain increased. Now he was complaining, with moans and groans. So I remembered something that had helped my mom--blue emu ointment. I started massaging it into Walker´s shoulder. And it helped . . . for awhile.

Now I´ve added glucosamine, but I think I will have to break down and take Walker to the vet. He´s cried out loud a few times. It´s heartbreaking to see him in pain, but I can´t afford to get in a costly cycle with the vet during the last months of his life. Other than the shoulder pain, he still has so much life in him, so I will hate to put him down yet.

Recently I read about a prescription medicine--tramadol--that doesn´t cost too much. I believe it is an opiate. I hope my vet will give it without requiring expensive tests.

I love my little Devoted Walker . . .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Tramadol can really help with pain management, but you will still need to determine what is causing him pain to try to remedy the issue so you will likely still need xrays. Also a lot of vets wont prescribe tramadol without doing bloodwork before hand on an older dog. When I was a vet assistant we usually prescribed Rimadyl or Metacam before going for tramadol because the 2 afore mentioned drugs were NSAIDS and helped with inflammation.

I hope it's an easy fix and he's comfortable again soon.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My 15-year-old dog has hip dysplasia and arthritis in her shoulders. she takes Rimadyl, tramadol, and gabapentin.
Definitely find out what the problem is first. Shoulder pain can be a lot of different things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When Misty stated exhibiting early signs of hip dysplasia (80lb doberman, only 3 years old), I took the advice of some of our members and started her on MSM, calcium, turmeric and I added Cosequin. It worked for almost a year, but it's not working anymore.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also put my dog on liquid health brand 5000 glucosamine supplement. It has a lot of different stuff in it, the liquid is easy to mix with the food, it is expensive but I think it is worth it.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481335814.715315.jpg
They have other glucosamine products that don't cost quite as much from the same brand.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
When Misty stated exhibiting early signs of hip dysplasia (80lb doberman, only 3 years old), I took the advice of some of our members and started her on MSM, calcium, turmeric and I added Cosequin. It worked for almost a year, but it's not working anymore.
I'm so sorry, Yvonne. She's too young . . .

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I also put my dog on liquid health brand 5000 glucosamine supplement. It has a lot of different stuff in it, the liquid is easy to mix with the food, it is expensive but I think it is worth it.View attachment 194261
They have other glucosamine products that don't cost quite as much from the same brand.
I did just start him on some glucosamine. It didn't cost too much, so it's probably not as good as yours, but maybe it will help.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your support. We have 4 dogs here. One is Walker's brother, and his health is still good except he seems to be deaf. The life expectancy for their breed is 12 - 14 years, so I know he's going soon . . .

The youngest of our 4 is epileptic--seizure free for 4 years, thankfully--but every year I have to do blood work in order to renew his prescription. Last year the price had jumped to nearly $300, so I think if I take Walker in and they do blood work and xrays . . . just to keep him alive for a few months . . . Well, it's just agonizing. But I don't want him to suffer. I'm hoping my vet will work with me, but at any rate, I can have a conversation with him about what is the best way to proceed at this point.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it might sound cruel and harsh but you have to take two things that consideration the animals quality of life and realistically how much time said animal has left. my grandma passed away a year ago and I took in (made a promise) her terrier mix dog chewy he's 15 years old. He recently came down with a cough so we took him to the vet and found out it was a relatively simple and inexpensive fix but at his age had it been a very expensive not so simple fix we would have to make some choices but he still good and going so no problems yet

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My adult daughter kept her cat alive much longer than she probably should have. I was paying the bills but I wanted her to make the decision. We spent thousands to extend the cat's life a few months.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My adult daughter kept her cat alive much longer than she probably should have. I was paying the bills but I wanted her to make the decision. We spent thousands to extend the cat's life a few months.

My boyfriend's mother is trying to do this currently on a hopeless case. Add in the fact that the cat is incredibly shy and when you do catch it it pees everywhere I am trying to convince her she's better off not. Apparently my 7 years of experience in a vet clinic doesn't mean jack when emotions are involved. I pretty much told her "Good luck medicating the cat after you pay $6k for surgery" and she still is being stubborn.

Lemonade

5 Year Member

I've heard stories like this before, so I had decided in the past not to let my emotions sweep me away when the time comes. It's not easy, but I don't have the money, and I won't go into debt for it. It isn't easy, though, to watch him fade.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
:DToday, Walker is much better :<3: I can tell in his gait that he has a stiff shoulder, but he's not complaining or sleeping as much. I'm so happy! It's either the diligent 2xday blue emu massages or the glucosamine. Maybe both. But YAY!!

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Walker is continuing to do so much better than when I originally posted. I'm sure it is the addition of glucosamine with chondroitin and MSM, but I am continuing with the blue emu also. He still walks like a little old man, but he gets around. He sleeps alot and deeply, but he has his more energetic moments too. The cold wet weather obviously affects him, but no crying out in pain--yay.

I did go to the vet for my epileptic dog's annual check up and bloodwork ($324), and while there, I briefly explained what's been going on with Walker. I asked if the time comes when my "home remedies" are not managing his pain could I get tramadol without expensive lab tests. He said yes.