Pebble not eating.

rakoczigabi

Location (City and/or State)
Basingstoke UK
Hello.

I'm worried. Today we weight Pebble and she lost weight :-( we got her a month ago and she was 20g , today she was only 17 :-(
We feed and bath her every day. Give her food at 7am and take it away at 7pm. Sometimes she eats it all but usually she only eats half of it or none. We been told that we only allowed to give her food as much as it covers her shell.
I'm really worried about her.
Otherwise she's sleeping well and daytime she's walking around a lot.
She has calcium , chalk any cuttlefish bone as well.
Ohh and she's only 8 months old.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tellablue

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My little guy is ten months old and seems to eat in spurts. There are days that I'm not sure if he has eaten anything, but otherwise he seems fine. I've read several posts that say to put strained carrots (baby food) in the soak. I haven't tried that myself, but I have boiled and smashed carrot & sweet potato to feed to my tort. Maybe someone else has better advice, but I think this seems to be a common issue. I hope she eats soon.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they wont eat if not warm enough.. or if the food is the wrong kind...
sunshine,, outside in a safe secure enclosure is a good thing to try.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tellablue said:
My little guy is ten months old and seems to eat in spurts. There are days that I'm not sure if he has eaten anything, but otherwise he seems fine. I've read several posts that say to put strained carrots (baby food) in the soak. I haven't tried that myself, but I have boiled and smashed carrot & sweet potato to feed to my tort. Maybe someone else has better advice, but I think this seems to be a common issue. I hope she eats soon.

the baby food carrot soak is for sick baby turtles and tortoises that aren't eating, and have swollen eyes. Don't over use it. A healthy tortoise that is off his food for a day or so doesn't need the baby food soaks.

Hi Gabriella:

Feed the tortoise as much as he'll eat and still have some left over. They come back to the feeding station throughout the day and pick at it some more. It is quite ok for him to be eating wilted and crisp dried up old food. It doesn't look appealing to us, but its not harmful for him to eat it.