Personal experiences with indoor enclosure plants?

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So I know tortoise table has all the safe plants for torts but does anyone have personal experiences for good (or bad) indoor enclosure plants?

daniellenc

Maryland
My only experience is he killed them over and over and I gave up. They never grew as hardy as my outdoor plants but people do have success so it may be my black thumb or just my choice of plants. When my AP cage comes I plan on transplanting some of my outdoor hasta and giving it another go with a bigger cage and more mature and sturdy plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I rotate them in and out. When one starts to look moth-eaten, I replace it with a new one, putting the moth-eaten one back outside to recuperate. I leave them in the pot and try to set the pot up high enough that the tortoise can't reach the plant, but that never works. They climb the pot. Right now I have a fake palm tree with a weighted base in with the baby YF. I keep looking for another one like it because this one is really ugly and in bad shape, but I love the way the fronds hang over, giving the baby hiding places. I have a couple of tiny succulents in with a baby leopard, plus a big 6" pot of pathos. There are quite a few bites off the succulents and looks like a few of the pathos leaves are gone. In the picture, the succulent next to the baby has most of its branches chewed off.

plants c.jpg plants d.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You need to go with plants that do really well indoors and in low light yet tolerate higher temperatures. The best i have found is spider plant, pothos, and boston fern. Prayer plant can work but burns easily under heat CHE and higher UVB. I put them in a heavy, wide based pot the tortoise cannot climb into. I also hang them from the enclosure ceiling where the bottom of the pot is just above shell height. The overhanging fronds are a favorite place for tortoises to rest. I do have grow lights as ambient light in the enclosures as well. With some of the plants it can be helpful if you have a few extras and can rotate them in and out of the enclosure to recover and get stronger.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I read on here that pothos were bad for Russians? If that's not the case I have a few I have grown from cuttings I could use.

I am going to get some large planning flats to rotate plants for eating on as well.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far!!