Pesticides?

Hbewsher

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hello!

My hatchling cherry head arrived today and is active, healthy and doing everythng it should be doing. Todd, as we have named him, did seem to be wanting for some more secure hiding spots.

I have a flower pot "cave" and a small cluster of silk ferns. I think the ferns aren't low and dense enough to feel cozy, and he seemed interested in eating them, so I wanted to replace them with something shorter, denser and edible. I recalled in @Yvonne G 's thread on hatchling set up, she used african violets, and I really liked this idea!

Would it be safe to include freshly purchased african violets, or should I assume they have been treated with pesticides? Would giving them a hearty rinse do anything to help remove harmful chemicals that may be present? I don't know of anywhere to get my hands on organically grown african violets, which I'm assuming is ideal.20180328_104559.jpg 20180328_103827.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
PLants grown at commercial nurseries are grown with systemic pesticides. These are incorporated into the plants tissues as they grow. They can't be rinsed off.

Got to grow your own, or find a nursery that doesn't use pesticides.

Hbewsher

NY
PLants grown at commercial nurseries are grown with systemic pesticides. These are incorporated into the plants tissues as they grow. They can't be rinsed off.

Got to grow your own, or find a nursery that doesn't use pesticides.

Yikes, that's rough. I'll do some hunting for organic plants then. Thanks!
-Hannah

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you know someone that has a green thumb and doesn't use fertilizers, maybe talk them into giving you a cutting off theirs to start your own. It might take a while to get them going, but eventually you will have some.

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
Another thing to remember when you search for plants is the not all organic nurseries get their plants from an organic grower. Weird I know. We have a nursery locally where this is the case. My husband and I think it's basically false advertising...They are charging a premium price for a non-premium product.

Hbewsher

NY
Thanks for the advice y'all. Much appreciated!