pH range for musk turtle tank?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know if there are general recommendations for optimum pH range in a musk turtle's tank?

Thanks!
Bea/Moozillion

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would imagine they're pretty tolerant of a variety of ph ranges ….. we have eastern musk here and the rivers ph fluctuates from 6's-8's , the same river may fluctuate from7-8 in the same day …….. lots of limestone rivers here where the ph is always somewhere around 8's , turtles do fine in those streams ……. i'd guess they're better off near 8 than 6 ……. that's just a guess knowing the rivers around here and what lives in them …..optimum ph for nitrobacter is 7.5-8

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I would imagine they're pretty tolerant of a variety of ph ranges ….. we have eastern musk here and the rivers ph fluctuates from 6's-8's , the same river may fluctuate from7-8 in the same day …….. lots of limestone rivers here where the ph is always somewhere around 8's , turtles do fine in those streams ……. i'd guess they're better off near 8 than 6 ……. that's just a guess knowing the rivers around here and what lives in them …..optimum ph for nitrobacter is 7.5-8
Thanks, Mark! That's good to know. :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
To be honest, I've never checked the pH in the mud turtle tank... although I probably will EVENTUALLY...;)

The disclaimer here is that I've been tackling a steep learning curve recently regarding aquarium water parameters. That being said, intuitively I'm inclined to agree with @mark1 about the pH probably being better around 8 vs. 6 for turtles. From what I've been learning lately, a slightly alkaline pH is better for snail shells, so I imagine it's probably better for turtle shells as well.

If I'm off on my imagining, somebody let me know... ;)