picking a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhambr939

5 Year Member
Hi I am interested getting a tortoise but I don't know which tortoise is best for my situation. I live in Colorado and in an apartment with not a lot of outdoor space so I will need to raise it mostly indoors. I currently own a cat and dog which is also a concern since I don't want the tortoise to be scared by them and so also need advice on how to keep a tortoise in that situation.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
Russians also stay small and are one of the easier torts to care for.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Either a Russian or Greek would be your best bet. I believe (and I could be wrong) but Russians are more forgiving when learning to care for your new friend and would be my first choice.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you will need to dedicate a enclosure to the tortoise, safe from the cat and esp the dog. Look up tortoise tables.
and welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your best bet would be a snake or a lizard. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam, but not loose on the floor, and they really need outdoor grazing and sunning time. Its not that its impossible to do it in an apartment, its just not easy and its not usually the best situation for a tortoise who needs some space to stretch its legs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I think your best bet would be a snake or a lizard. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam, but not loose on the floor, and they really need outdoor grazing and sunning time.

* I think that is a great idea, many really do not give much forethought regarding the long term effects that lack of sun, grazing, and ample room for proper exercise has on a kept tortoise.

Maggie and Torie the Tort

5 Year Member
USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:
I think your best bet would be a snake or a lizard. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam, but not loose on the floor, and they really need outdoor grazing and sunning time.

* I think that is a great idea, many really do not give much forethought regarding the long term effects that lack of sun, grazing, and ample room for proper exercise has on a kept tortoise.

I fully agree. If I could not keep my Tortoise outside a lot, I would feel like a bad Tortoise parent.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Also an aquatic/semi aquatic turtle or a wood or box turtle would be a close transition into tortoises I believe. Many of the aquatic or semi aquatics only want to leave the water to bask, and to lay eggs if it's a sexually mature female, you can create a suitable environment for them a bunch of different ways, including large aquariums. Musk turtles don't often choose to bask (they still need the UVB lighting and heat light, and basking varies by each turtle) You could keep a couple of them, or keep them with a basker in a large enough water-tight tote or 75+ gallon aquarium. Not experienced in wood and box turtles, but from what I've read it wouldn't be that hard to replicate a suitable environment indoors :)

lokenica

5 Year Member
Pay for shipping and plan a suitable environment, and I will GIVE you two baby red-eared sliders. They entered the water from land in May. I live in north Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.