College student looking for have a pet tortoise

tortoiselove1

Hello,

I am an undergrad studying in Wisconsin. I live in an apartment; spacious than most here on campus, and I want to have a pet tortoise. I have looked into all the different types, but have found contradicting views about "first-time" tortoise pets. I would like your suggestions as to what kind of tortoise should I get that wouldn't mind staying indoors. In the summer, I can definitely take it out for a few hours each day, but in the winter it has to stay indoors. The tortoise size and weight need to considered, too. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind I should get? I looked into hingebacks, but they do not make a good "first time" pets. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). First timer torts mostly suggested are the Russian, Greek and Hermanns. No tortoise should be kept inside 24/7 so getting them outside as much as possible in warm weather should be top of the list. There are lots of easy ways to build a cheap outdoor enclosure that is easily removed. Even a plastic kiddie pool can make a great outdoor enclosure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Pancake tortoise....ideal for more indoor living than some other torts.....also, they are pretty fricken awesome....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises need a lot of space to roam around. This makes it difficult to house them when space, time or money are running short. None of them will do well long term in a small indoor enclosure. For a single adult of any species housed mostly indoors, I'd like to see and enclosure at least 3x6', but preferably 4x8'. And taking the tortoise for walks outside is a recipe for disaster. Seriously. They need their own large outdoor enclosure in a secure space that is controlled by you and you alone.

Have you considered other pets that don't have such large space requirements? Many snakes or lizards would fit the bill nicely. How about a pet rat? Here is a thread to check out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30188.html

Yodasmom

Ireland
Hello! :)
I am also a college student and I own a Horsfield Tortoise called Yoda! I live in Ireland so sunshine is very limited but he gets out every chance he can. It is quiet a lot of work and expensive as a student to provide him with his UV bulbs, vits and basking bulbs (also making time for his soaks are very important). I keep a jar of money for him so that if his bulb blows or he needs anything that I can get it ASAP, I would suggest doing that :)