looking into getting a tortoise

nljimen

Hi I have been looking into getting a tortoise has a new pet. The pet stores don't seem to have any of the right information. I researched a lot and was looking for a good starter tortoise that won't get too big but is still friendly. I home all day so I have the time to put in. I really could use some information and suggestions. I bought a 55 gallon breeder tank for the tortoise. But after researching tortoise I realized how wrong the pet smart lady was. My husband is a carpenter he is going to build the cage but first I have to decide what kind of tortoise to build the proper size and habait. Really would to get the right information. Help please

phebe121

Well alot of people on here would tell you a Russian tortoies would be good they dont get big they eat weeds and flowers someone that knows more about them can tell you exactly what they eat and how to house them

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well all torts are frendley and fun . And it would help if we knew where you live , how big is your area ( outside ), but good luck with your serch .

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russian tortoises are a good starter tortoise :) There is a lot of great info on this forum on how to raise them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It would help us to help you if we knew more about your situation - where are you, do you have outside space, etc.

In my opinion, because tortoises are wild animals, I believe they should live outside. I understand cold weather plays a part in this, but the main habitat should be outside, then indoors (or hibernating) during the winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are some general tortoise tips:

-They need LARGE enclosures. 4x8 feet is a good minimum indoor size for smaller species like russians or hermann's.

-They also need large outdoor enclosures. There is no maximum size, but the bigger the better. The enclosure will have to be custom tailored to the species.

-If you, your neighbors, or visiting friends and family have a dog, keep it away from your tortoise at all times. Dogs chew on tortoises and it doesn't matter how nice or well behaved the dog is.

-Don't let your tortoise run loose inside or out. Tortoises need to be in dedicated properly designed and regulated enclosures.

-ALL species need more humidity than what the books and experts suggest. Our indoor enclosures and bulbs tend to be WAYYYY too dry. A good hygrometer (humidity gauge) will help you get this part right.

Here are some threads that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/page-2
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Its great that you've already figured out that the pet store is full of bad advice. Many people discover that far too late. Please read the above threads, and please share this info with your handyman (husband). Hopefully you guys will get some insertion from what other people have done.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You may want to consider a box turtle. While not technically a tortoise, they are land-dwelling turtles that do not require as much room as a typical pet tortoise, but have many of the same basic cares. They are also less expensive, both to purchase, and to house.

Please do not collect a wild turtle for this purpose- it may be very illegal for you to do so. Beyond that, the best options, in my opinion, are the Eastern or Carolina box turtle (Terrepene carolina carolina) or the three-toed subspecies, T. c. triungus.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Before you build the enclosure you should select a species so we can help you bud the correct type of enclosure. Once you build it you can set it all up with substraight and lights and make sure its operating correctly. Then you go get your lolly guy and plop him in.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)