Pickles the Craig's list box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
Another sad Craig's List case. The woman said they had had her for 6 years & she had a handicap because she had been attacked by another turtle. But it was purely cosmetic. I sent an email over and the lady was a bit rude insisting to know about us and our lifestyle. She didn't want the turtle to go to a bad home. Understandable. Until we saw how bad off the poor little thing was.

Somehow this poor thing survived 6 years of no heat/proper lighting, a diet of crickets and turtle pellets in a 10 gal aquarium.

So we took her in, did a lot of research on how to care for box turtles, got her into the vet and named her Pickles lol
First day home:
DSC03362.jpg

About 2 weeks later:
DSC03411.jpg

jdawn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest
Pickles is soooo sweet looking and very lucky you came into her life. I hope she will continue to thrive with you. She's a beauty! (people like you make this world a beautiful place). Thank you for your story~ please keep us updated on her progress!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OMG!! That is a horrible case of neglect. Things like this really make me sick. It's wonderful of you to take her in. Looks like a female Eastern Box turtle?? Can she walk? Yes please keep us updated. What a horrible thing...6 years...of living like that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Words can not describe the emotions I am feeling right now. I am just disgusted. I have seen a few like this in my time, and I am saddened every time I see it. Glad she has a new home for however long she may have.

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
Thank you Jdawn! She even has such a sweet demeanor. I'll definitely keep updating about her.

Terryo - We guessed she was Eastern but I wouldn't know for sure. And no she can't really walk, more of a scoot. The vet said her legs were riddled with fractures :(

It took a lot not to email the woman a few well chosen words but I figured it wouldn't do any good. I was angry and sad. It took a few days to feel glad that she would at least be a bit more comfortable.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can't stop looking at this baby. For a person like me who has had boxies for so many years, and have taken in so many that were a mess, I can honestly say this is the worst case of neglect I've seen. I saw one other one at the Turtle Rescue of Long Island...Scooter. Almost as bad. You are a much better person than I am, because she would have heard plenty from me. I am so glad you found her.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
What a sweet face.. I hope she thrives under your watchful eye... She probably feels as tho she's been dropped into Turt heaven..

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well she's got you to take care of her now thank goodness. Poor thing. I bet she'll be looking so much better in a few months then she does right now. Take care and keep us updated. I'm glad that she let you have her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.