Update on Pickles and a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
She seems to be doing pretty good. Her walking/hobbling has got so much better. Her front legs (the least damaged) have got a bit stronger, she can hold herself up and she walks more than scoots now. I've been soaking her and a lot of crusty thick skin peeled off into the water. Poor thing looked a little raw for a couple days. She's eating pretty good. Today I picked up her rock outside that I put her food on and there was a bunch of termites and she went crazy for them. It was so cute!

My question is, is there anything else I could/should be doing for her?

Here's a cute updated photo and a little video (I think I figured that out)

Pretty Pickles by turttle_n_toad_mamma, on Flickr

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
not much else to do just treat her as kindly as possible

I am glad though she seems to be enjoying life more.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
She is a very curious Boxie isn't she? I love the way it looks like she's already bonded with you as she follows the camera around in the video that you posted. Her little shell reminds me of a mushroom. :D I think since the last time you posted that she's made a big improvement. It's amazing what a little bit of love will do. :)

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
...from the words of Winston Churchill "Never, never, never give up". keep up the care and love.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Every time I see her I want to cry. I am SO happy she has found you. You are doing a wonderful job, and I see a great improvement. Please continue to keep us updated.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
whoa! kudos to you for taking care of her post someone not :( that makes me so sad. i have a lil boy eastern who is three whose shell started to thicken and curl up because of the conditions he was kept in for a bit :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a question, how does she seem to be handling not being able to withdraw into her shell?

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone :) I was so worried when we first brought her home that there was nothing we could do for her. It's exciting for me to see improvement no matter how small.

She is very curious and sweet. If she hears us out in the garden she'll come out from wherever she was hiding in her enclosure and stick her head way up like she's listening or looking for us. I've become so attached to her, it's hard to know she will not live as long as she should.

dmmj - Our vet commented on how she's lived like this for so long, she's probably adapted to not being able to. Really for all that's wrong with her I would expect her to be one cranky unhappy turtle, but she's really friendly and outgoing.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've become so attached to her, it's hard to know she will not live as long as she should.

Michelle, did the Vet say she won't live long?

Read the story of Scooter. This is the worst case I've ever seen, but your little girl comes close. I'm so happy she's doing better.

http://www.turtlerescues.org/scooter.htm

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Terry that is one little turtle that didn't get what it needed what was that man thinking? How sad, but it's a story with a good ending. Scooter looks much better then he did when they first got him and I'm sure that Pickles will do the same now that she's got someone who knows what they are doing. ;)

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Wow just reading back in the posts about Pickles.
How can people do something like that?

So great that you took this little tort in, kudos to you.
Amazing that Pickles still wants to interact with humans,
after what she's been through.

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
i missed the first pickles post which i have now read good job on savin her, she looks better
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.