Picky eater- advice?

Arirang

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello, all!

My tortoise, Ollivander, is a rescue, and for both the previous owner and myself, he refuses to eat anything but Romaine lettuce. No kale, no blueberries, no strawberries, no mustard greens. I want to feed him better, but he just won't.

I have a bearded dragon and a rabbit that will eat anything- can anyone recommend other inexpensive options that those two can eat if he doesn't? I'll eat most things as well, especially if it can be used for salad.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello, all!

My tortoise, Ollivander, is a rescue, and for both the previous owner and myself, he refuses to eat anything but Romaine lettuce. No kale, no blueberries, no strawberries, no mustard greens. I want to feed him better, but he just won't.

I have a bearded dragon and a rabbit that will eat anything- can anyone recommend other inexpensive options that those two can eat if he doesn't? I'll eat most things as well, especially if it can be used for salad.

I think Tom included some links for you to read/study on russian tortoise care, and as you read them you will see that Russians should NOT eat any fruit. They are made for chowing down weeds and if you don’t have access to fresh weeds now it is ok to turn to your local market for some fresh greens. Many carry dandelion greens and edible flowers (which people like to put in their salads. There is a looooooong list of good food items that you can safely feed your tort. If she likes romain lettuce she may eat escarole and endive lettuces which are great, maybe cactus pads (from Mexican section of your Walmart), see if you can find grape vines, rose of sharon, mulberry growing in places that don’t get sprayed with chemicals. See if you can find plantain (weed that’s AWESOME for the torts) or Hosta (in someone’s garden), look for Mazuri of other tortoise dry food at your petstores. Many feed stores carry Mazuri which ALL the torts that I know, absolutely love. Just be sure that the pelleted food you get is designed for GRAZING tortoise. Again the list of good food for a your tortoise is VERY long, so go back to the links that are posted in one of your threads and I’m sure you’ll get many ideas there. Now, your little Olivander may also be going through adjustment period. These animals do not like big changes (like moving to another place and while new routines) so it may take few days bfr she figures out her new home and her keeper are really ok. Until she does, just make sure you keep her warm and give her nice long warm baths every day through this adjustment. One more thing, though you may already have one for your beardie but if not, I wholeheartedly recommend obtaining a temp gun- infrared thermometer which is the best way fir a new keeper to assure things are at the right temps (her enclosure, inside of her burrow, her bath water, etc). My torts usually devour their food after their bath. I keep their bath water at 95-105F and by the time they are done soaking, peeing, pooping their body temps are 86-87F which is great for their metabolism and digestion, but that is MY routine. You will come up with your own way of doing things over time. I just wanted to share my experience which may give you some ideas. Most importantly tho, READ those care sheets that you have the links posted in another thread. There is such wealth of knowledge and wisdom on this Forum, you have really come to the best place for best, current and reliable information. If you stick to this Forum’s recommendations, you’ll have the best chances of keeping a happy and healthy tortoise for decades to come