Picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So Taz is still doing great, however he refuses to eat anything plant related! When i first set up the enclosure I added lots of slugs and worms, which are all gone now. Since then I have given him 1-2 large night crawlers every other week. I was hoping he would get hungry and eat some of the veggies and mushrooms I give everyday.

Wondering if anyone has a trick or favorite food I can entice him with? I though when he got hungry enough he would eat the mushrooms, but no. He took one bite of them and just stared at me like, "that is NOT a worm".

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
herpgirl24 said:
So Taz is still doing great, however he refuses to eat anything plant related! When i first set up the enclosure I added lots of slugs and worms, which are all gone now. Since then I have given him 1-2 large night crawlers every other week. I was hoping he would get hungry and eat some of the veggies and mushrooms I give everyday.

Wondering if anyone has a trick or favorite food I can entice him with? I though when he got hungry enough he would eat the mushrooms, but no. He took one bite of them and just stared at me like, "that is NOT a worm".

LOL i know that feeling.. have you tried chopping up a worm/slug/bugs really really good and rubbing and mixing it all up on the other food? he might smell it and maybe fool him LOL its taken me 3 weeks to get my loepard to try new thing he was "picky" to only i hot him at 18 months... good luck and persistance is key!

~Kaila

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I feed mine a "turtle buffet" that consists of 50% protein, 30% veggies, 20% fruit, and 10% greens. I chop it all up and mix it together. When they go for the protein (usually chicken) they get a mouthful of other stuff as well. This gets them eating all kinds of foods. I even start my little hatchlings off with the buffet and they love it! Hope that was helpful! :)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Try turtle brittle from Nasco, soaked. Or pick up some trout or koi chow from a feed store or fish store and offer it, soaked on a plate. Then feed your turtle night crawlers placed in the plate. As he gets used to eating there, he will eventually start eating the brittle/chow. It can take as long as two weeks, but once they start, they become good feeders. Then you can start experimenting with chopped veggies mixed in. Turtle brittle and trout chow are easy to store, inexpensive, and your turtle will put on some weight quickly.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix once a week and put different things in each week. In a food processor, I put a cooked sweet potato, carrots, greens, like escarole, dandelion, etc, some veggies, squash, a little corn, and some fruit...berries, melons etc. some trout chow, or water turtle peletts or turtle brittle. I mix it up just until they are tiny pieces, not mush. Sometimes I throw in a raw egg, shell and all. Then in a bowel, I'll sometimes add just a little canned venison, or whitefish. At night they'll get a worm or some kind of bug. Every week I put something different in the mix, but I always put the carrots and sweet potato...They all love this mix, even my Cherry Heads.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Well looks like I am gonna be chef for a turtle!! LOL Picky little thing. Although, he is not as bad as the hingback.

Guess I will be investing in a food processor on Friday!

Thanks for the ideas!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You won't be sorry!
IMAG0061-3.jpg

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Never knew a turtle could be a dainty eater! He took the worm right out of the mixed food, then pushed it around in the dirt before eating it!!! I think he laughed at me!! LOL

Wish the camera would of been charged, it was comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.