Picky Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
My Russian is a picky eater! Nubs wont eat anything yellow including dandelions or squash flowers. I've also been trying to introduce Mazuri into his diet with no luck. I am wetting it and mixing it into his daily greens and he just eats around it. Any suggestions on how to change this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Picky Eater

littlestella said:
My Russian is a picky eater! Nubs wont eat anything yellow including dandelions or squash flowers. I've also been trying to introduce Mazuri into his diet with no luck. I am wetting it and mixing it into his daily greens and he just eats around it. Any suggestions on how to change this?

How long have you had your tort? They can take weeks to get used to new surroundings and start eating properly.

Tell us more about your enclosure; if the temperatures are not right in particular that can affect eating.

What are the 4 important temperatures? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?
What type of UVB bulb do you have and when did you last change it?
How long are the lights on for?

Establish a routine with your tort to encourage it to eat.
Put the lights on a timer for 12 hours a day.
Soak it in the morning for a good 20 minutes before it has warmed up properly.
Put it back in the enclosure with food on a flat tile or slate and then walk away and leave it. Watching is intimidating!
Given time space and the cirrect temperatures, your tort will decide things are safe and eat.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
He does not neeed Mazuri. If you want him to like it I say try giving it to him mixed with something he does like. Rather than softening it with water how about a veggie juice like carrot or celery or even aloe vera. Then chop up all his veg and greens and mix in the mazuri. The color of the flowers should not be throwing him off, but perhaps the taste is. Some torts just dont like their dandilions... I chop those up and mix them in as well when I am trying to break the bad habits some of the rescues come in with. You could also try daylily or hibiscus or rose of sharon.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

kanalomele said:
He does not neeed Mazuri. If you want him to like it I say try giving it to him mixed with something he does like. Rather than softening it with water how about a veggie juice like carrot or celery or even aloe vera. Then chop up all his veg and greens and mix in the mazuri. The color of the flowers should not be throwing him off, but perhaps the taste is. Some torts just dont like their dandilions... I chop those up and mix them in as well when I am trying to break the bad habits some of the rescues come in with. You could also try daylily or hibiscus or rose of sharon.

He's using V8 juice and that really isn't good. This tort needs water soaked mazuri

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Thank you I will try that too. Dont get me wrong, he eats well, just want to make sure he has a good variety in his diet. He's gained 50 grams in the last 4 months so he is on the right track. We have started calling him Chubs instead of Nubs.

I have had him a little over 4 months now so he should be well adjusted. He spends about 10-12hrs a day outside in his enclosure and only comes in for bad weather or cold nights. Since he spends all day outside and I bring him in after dark, I haven't been using any of his lights. The room he is in never gets under 75 degrees and he goes out everyday as soon as he wakes up. Day time (outside) temps range from 80-95.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

littlestella said:
Thank you I will try that too. Dont get me wrong, he eats well, just want to make sure he has a good variety in his diet. He's gained 50 grams in the last 4 months so he is on the right track. We have started calling him Chubs instead of Nubs.

I have had him a little over 4 months now so he should be well adjusted. He spends about 10-12hrs a day outside in his enclosure and only comes in for bad weather or cold nights. Since he spends all day outside and I bring him in after dark, I haven't been using any of his lights. The room he is in never gets under 75 degrees and he goes out everyday as soon as he wakes up. Day time (outside) temps range from 80-95.

That sounds good :) Does he get to bask outside? I.e. What's the weather like where you are?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Yes, nice weather for the most part. Today is 80 and sunny. Next week will be high 90s... :(. I'm not a fan of hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

littlestella said:
Yes, nice weather for the most part. Today is 80 and sunny. Next week will be high 90s... :(. I'm not a fan of hot weather.

Can I come and live with you? .... the sky is grey and it looks like it's going to rain .... again... in this part of the UK :D

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
We always want what we don't have. I love the rain, would prefer it any day over heat and sweat!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Russians decide to eat based on smell as well as other factors. If you take one of her favorite large leaves and roll it up enclosing the new food you want her to try. You may be able to entice her into trying something new.

Sometimes I'll even hand feed the roll of greens by laying my hand low in the enclosure with the roll extended using my thumbnail and index finger nail to protect from the beak. I don't advise regular hand feeding it could lead to associating the hand with food.

Extend the roll close to her nose and then pull it back so she can focus on the roll; let her move toward the roll; it should be her decision to try the food. Do not look away, you could become finger food. :)

Make all your movements slow and smooth so she will not be startled.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.