picture of a tortoise visitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Here are some pics of a Gopher tortoise that wondered into our yard the other day. I didn't want to bother it (it's a big no-no in Florida), so I just got some pics of it and just made sure that it didn't go into our dogs area. For some reason tortoises love to go in there with our dog, and our dog is really really not tort friendly.

This was a good size for a gopher tortoise. He seemed a little camera shy.....

gophertortoisehide.jpg

Then he got used to me looking at him and he kept on walking.....

gophertortoise.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a beauty,
You are very lucky that tortoises go in your yard :D
Thanks for sharing.

M

Maggie Cummings

He is beautiful! I would sell my soul to see a wild tortoise in my yard...I just get quail and 'coons...thanks for sharing those pictures...

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
im going to florida next week. The west coast around anna marie island. Do i have any kind of good chance of seeing a wild gopher?

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wow. How awesome. Not too many people can say they have wild tortoises wondering into thier yard. Your lucky to able to experience that. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How awesome! When we are in FL I keep looking and looking, but haven't been lucky enough to see one.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I'm not sure if you will see them on the West coast area. We live about a half hour from Melborne beach. If you are coming to Florida, the best thing to do is to go to a wildlife preserve. There are two very close to us that me and my husband love to visit. The best one is called Three Lakes Wildlife preserve. When we go there, to go fishing or just relax, I usually see about 3 or more gopher tortoises. And I can't forget to mention all of the red ear sliders and other turtles.

There is one lake in there that we can always see about 20 or more alligator. When the lake is a little dry, we can walk out into the lake on the dry parts, and then we are able to get a better view of the gators (we can look on every side of us and see gators). It's a great way to get close to nature, LOL :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Try Little Manatee State Park (northeast of Anna Maria Island), Myakka River State Park (southeast) or Myakka Forest State Park (south). Not sure if you'll see one this time of year Kevan as they mainly stay in their burrows at this time. But always fun to try.
The only place on the west coast that I have seen Gopher tortoises is the Koreshan State Historic Site in Estero, FL. (south of where you will be). It's right on route 41 (south tamiami trail).

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Great pictures - what a nice surprise!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful pictures. You are so lucky to have a totrtoise in your yard. The only live thing I ever see in my yard is my boxie...and I put her there. Well, that's not all true...I do have a pond with a little bit of wildlife too.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That is really neat. I have always wanted a Texas tortoise to wonder up to my house but its not likely.
Is it against the law to feed them so they might stick around?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
tortoise_addict said:
That is really neat. I have always wanted a Texas tortoise to wonder up to my house but its not likely.
Is it against the law to feed them so they might stick around?

It's against the law to feed them and to pet them. It's even that way with the sandhill cranes. I've seen someone feed bread to one and ran out of bread, then the birds ended up following them thinking they had more food. On the roads the cranes have the right of way. If you hit one with your car you can get a big fine. But of course if the bird jump out in front of you and it's not your falt then the police understand. But just don't do a hit and run. But the law for them is a good thing. People are really cautious around them :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :) Next time I see another Gopher tort I'll take another picture for ya'll.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

Status
Not open for further replies.