Pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I know I've posted a lot the past couple of days, am probably just an overly concerned mama. But I wanted to submit a before and after picture of Karloff's new enclosure, as well as a closeup shot of his shell and where I'm seeing some cracks beginning to form. This coupled with his lack of eating over the past week prompted me to get a vet appointment for him for tomorrow, just to be safe.

Attachments

• old enclosure.JPG
    old enclosure.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 73
  • new enclosure.JPG
    new enclosure.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 89
  • wake up.JPG
    wake up.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 80
  • cracked shell.JPG
    cracked shell.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 75

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I don't like the coir/sand substrate. You never get cypress mulch or orchid bark stuck all over the tortoise like that with them.

The space between the scutes is where the new growth appears. Sometimes its tough for the new growth to push away the existing shell, and a little dab of vaseline on the spot helps soften it.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
That's why I don't like the coir/sand substrate. You never get cypress mulch or orchid bark stuck all over the tortoise like that with them.

The space between the scutes is where the new growth appears. Sometimes its tough for the new growth to push away the existing shell, and a little dab of vaseline on the spot helps soften it.

Thanks, I didn't know that's how their shells grow. Very big relief.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Love the new enclosure!! I saw a bin that size on sale at Home Depot and I was thinking about getting it for my hatchling. The only reason I didn't get it is because I didn't really like how it's shaped with the ridges on the side and stuff...but now seeing your set-up I might have to go buy it! Plus it is lime green, which is pretty sweet ;)

Anyways, Karloff is adorable!! What a nice shell :)

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
ChiKat said:
Love the new enclosure!! I saw a bin that size on sale at Home Depot and I was thinking about getting it for my hatchling. The only reason I didn't get it is because I didn't really like how it's shaped with the ridges on the side and stuff...but now seeing your set-up I might have to go buy it! Plus it is lime green, which is pretty sweet ;)

Anyways, Karloff is adorable!! What a nice shell :)

I was worried about those ridges inside too, but I just covered them up with the coir/sand mix, I doubt he'll be able to hurt himself on them so it should be ok. Its about twice the size as his old home, and he's been wandering around exploring all the corners since he moved in. Eventually I want to add some plantlife to it, make it more interesting for him, but I've got not skill at all when it comes to keeping plants alive so I'm still building myself up to that! Thanks :) I couldn't resist him.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I wasn't really concerned about Nelson getting hurt on the ridges, just frustrated that they're taking up precious floor space! ;)
I think I'll go back and get the bin some time this week. Nelson is going to love it, just as Karloff does :D

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
ChiKat said:
I wasn't really concerned about Nelson getting hurt on the ridges, just frustrated that they're taking up precious floor space! ;)
I think I'll go back and get the bin some time this week. Nelson is going to love it, just as Karloff does :D

Post a picture when you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.