What do you think about this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Personally I like the dremel it is fast and easy, I saw it used at my tortoise club, and I feel that I can use it next time I need to, I do understand people's apprehension about using one though.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I just don't know where the hubby keeps his dremel and I wouldn't know how to use it if I found it. I would need him to show me the basics before I tried to use it. It's more a matter of timing than anything as he's just not available tomorrow. If the vet can't get us in for a few days, I'm pretty sure he's going to take matters into his own hands. I'm fully trained and comfortable in the use of a nail file, and I'm pretty efficient with it, so I can at least make a little progress before the hubby is available with the dremel.

If he does end up doing it, I'll definitely watch and learn how it's done. Even if we get in to the vet tomorrow, it will just be me, so if for some reason it has to be done in the future, I'll have to either be the one to do it or communicate to the hubby how it was done.

I wonder how much adjustment there will need to be to normal beak length. Do you think he's going to have to learn how to eat again or will it just come back to him naturally?

Also DMMJ, that last quote in your sig always makes me chuckle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No I think he will be able to eat easier and be a much more happy tortoise IMHO.
And it is always a good idea to watch it being done before you do it yourself,once you have seen it done, you will probably kick yourself (like I did) for not doing it earlier.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Appointment at 10:20. I'll only have cell phone pics, but I'll update when I get back.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The vet was fantastic. We saw Dr. Stout at Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital. Dr. Stout owns Russians and CDTs herself and loves tortoises. She says that Cyrano is "old." She says that he may have some minor MBD but she feels that he was an adult before any neglect occurred so any damage is minimal and he should be fine with good care. She recommended no hibernating this year, so he gets to live inside this winter, and just general extra TLC. She doesn't feel any bladder stones and his shell is fine. She took his beak and nails down (only $15!!). There's a little beak left, but she feels he'll do the rest with normal eating. The inside of his mouth looks normal. He also obliged with a fecal sample (the phrase "master pooper" was used). They'll call later with the results.

The total cost, including fecal, was $92. So far, total costs of rescue, including rehoming fee, enclosure materials with plants, and vet bills are probably about $200. The amount I incurred for Cyrano that I wouldn't have incurred for any other tortoise (i.e., the beak and nail trimming), is $15. But, wait, he only cost $50. If you figure the fair cost of a Russian to be $75, I'm $10 ahead. The financials don't even take into account the fact that he has a great personality. Some times the benefits of taking a risk are more immediate than others.

I apologize for the quality of the pics. My cell phone camera is pretty substandard, especially on a gloomy day.

2nsm49u.jpg

nler1s.jpg

15hegqd.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Awww, now he can eat (when ready) and pull his head into his shell!
And getting him into a good home? Priceless!
:D :D :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That is great news. His whole life is about to change. I can't believe that lady wouldn't even get him a beak trim. I'm still mad at her.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Me too. There were a lot of things I didn't tell you because I was trying not to be too mad myself. The main one that comes to mind is that when she found him, she put him in a tank half full of water until he had a runny nose (vet confirmed that there are no signs of RI currently), and she figured out he wasn't a turtle. There's more, but I'll just work both of us up. Lets just say it wasn't good.

In better news, he just had a few bites of spring mix and it was pretty funny. He took a bite and then kind of paused and then he just sort of lit into it. He was definitely a little confused. I pulled some whole mustard leaves from my garden and put them down there but he's back in his burrow, so we'll see if he gets to it later. He just got put back outside because we had some very rare summer rain here so he spent the morning indoors until his appointment. He still hasn't pulled his head into his shell. We'll see when he figures out he can do that.

Edit: Of course, you know we had rain, Kathy, that was more for everyone else. :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
If I remember correctly she said "I rescued him."

Wasn't the rain nice? I must say, it was to hot yesterday. My car read 104 in Poway. I was thinking if I had my RF he would have loved the weather. That reminds me I need to start thinking about a winter garden for my new RF I don't have:( My husband has had a rough time at work and a scare last week. We thought he had a mild stroke so all the medical bills will be pouring in soon. Timing is everything w/ him.

Please keep us posted on Cyrano. I bet he'll come around soon. By the way how is your Cecil doing?

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
She found him in the street and had no idea what he was or how to care for him. As far as I can tell, she didn't even name him.

Cecil is eating like a champ and getting bigger every day. He has a planted outdoor enclosure where he spends part of the day so he's starting to turn up his nose at spring mix. I'm going to have to grow some pans for winter. We're still figuring out lights/heating since we put him in a table. The heat is fine as long as we keep having these heat waves, but I need to get it figured out by winter. So far, humidity has been easy to maintain, probably because we start off pretty humid already.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope everything turns out ok. Is a new job possible? I'm on disability because of ignoring a "rough time" for too long, and I'm probably changing careers entirely when I go back.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Glad both are doing well. I have been looking for a table. I actually found one at a thrift store this morning. I just didn't buy it. It was like 5'x2'. Good size. Still pondering it. I'm sure you will have to play around w/ the lights/heat for winter. Good Luck.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
A thrift store had a table? If a thrift store had a table and you could save yourself the work... I'm all for that. Cyrano will probably be going in a cement tub for the winter. Did you take pics? I like to do that so I can keep looking while I'm contemplating.

Have you decided what you want yet? That may affect what you use for housing.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Negative fecal! Looks like we're done with expenses until we extend the enclosure and/or buy the stuff for winter.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just saw this thread and..... wow!!!! It started out so sad, and turned out to be happy and wonderful. This was truly a "rescue"!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
That's great news Renee! You really lucked out, and so did Cyrano.

I meant to say I found a book shelf. I have not decided yet. I'm very torn. RF was what I really wanted. But now I'm rethinking what I should really get. I'm also thinking of adopting from the SDTTS. A lot depends on how involved my husband wants to be. He could put in a big area for a CDT or start off small so he grows to enjoy the tortoise and then build when needed. I'm afraid to ask him to start adding a warm shed/doghouse right off the bat. Does that make sense?

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks, terryo. We're pretty happy with our new addition. He's got a fantastic personality.

Kathy, that totally makes sense. I think that Russians and CDTs are great choices because they have such great personalities and they are relatively easy to care for. If you are looking for a tortoise to charm your husband and not annoy him with a lot of preparation and care requirements, an adult Russian or CDT is a pretty good choice. My husband allows his Russians to hibernate outside, although I'm not sure how that will work now that we lock them in for the night.

I was never planning to get any more than my sulcata, but I've been talking to hubby and I've decided that I'll get more Russians if they come up, but only Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.