pinworms

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Does anyone know if a tortoise has pinworms do you treat it with medicine from the vet if the poop comes back positive?
Anyone who experienced pinworms what did you do for your tort?
What are the best protocols?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello everyone,
I just got my stool sample back being postive for pinworms. My russian poops normal brown poops not watery, and pee/ urates look healthy.
He eats and drinks water regularly. He has plenty of energy and has a pretty normal schedule. No signs of RI problems, or issues with breathing or discharge.
Should I treat with medicine from the vet if the pinworm count is high? or should I leave my russian alone until I start to notice issues?
I dont see any worms in his poop. Not sure if you can notice it or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I ran a tortoise rescue I never knew how healthy the tortoises I got in were, so I treated all of them at the time of receiving them with Panacur. If they had mucousy poop, I also treated with Flagyl. You treat once, then again in 10 days because there were bound to be unhatched parasite eggs at the time of the first treatment. The second treatment took care of that.

Since your tortoise tested positive, I would go ahead and de-worm. You don't want to wait until there's an overload that causes problems.

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When I had a fecal done on my DT it came back positive with a light load.

The vet said it wasn't enough to treat, so I didn't.

But now I think I trust Yvonne's advice more than the vet's. :)

Dillonthemutt

Boston, UK
When I ran a tortoise rescue I never knew how healthy the tortoises I got in were, so I treated all of them at the time of receiving them with Panacur. If they had mucousy poop, I also treated with Flagyl. You treat once, then again in 10 days because there were bound to be unhatched parasite eggs at the time of the first treatment. The second treatment took care of that.

Since your tortoise tested positive, I would go ahead and de-worm. You don't want to wait until there's an overload that causes problems.
Sorry to but in, but do you have any tips for successful worming at home? I’ve read that you throw away all the substrate and keep them on paper for a couple of weeks so you can easily clean up the poo’s. Thank you ?