Planning for Spring

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I read threads about people living with their torts in warmer climates with jealousy, and feel bad about keeping my redfoot Darwin inside for so much of the year.

To that end, I've been making plans for extending the outdoor season for him, and wanted to run the basics by all of you, hoping for advice and tips.

palram-greenhouses-701550-64_1000.jpg

This 6X8 polycarbonate and steel-frame greenhouse,
EF2520-48-125.01.jpg

with foil bubble-wrap insulation on the cold and shady sides.

71Xfd4WEiaL._SX569_.jpg

This deck box, with a door cut out in the one end, with a ramp and hanging door closures, heated with an oil-filled heater.

91o3hmayvhL._SX425_.jpg

Five-gallon buckets filled with water for thermal mass, to help steady the temperature fluctuations inside the greenhouse.

My thinking is that with this setup, I can make a wholesome and healthy environment for Darwin from when the weather gets to 60F, maybe 50F ...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jamie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Why not just use the shelf kit too and grow some goodies. That woul also add some thermal mass. Maybe also a humidifier (I think not sure) based on him being a redfoot. All in All I think you have a kick butt IDEA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The deck box won't work. I've tried and tried and watched others try. You end up having to run so much heat in there to maintain a warm temp that it dries everything out. Make one of these instead. It will make your life easier and the tortoises life better: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

I've got no experience with green houses or maintaining temps with buckets of hot water, but in your kind of cold, I don't see those things being very effective. It may allow you to extend the outdoor season by a few weeks on either end though. I say try it and teach us what you learn in the process.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The buckets aren't big enough. My daughter had a small greenhouse and she used 50 gallon barrels of water. The greenhouse was on the west side of her house so the afternoon sun warmed up the water in the barrels and they gave off warmth throughout the night, but by morning they were cold. In my opinion, you're still going to need a heater.

My plants spend the winter in a small polycarbonate green house. The oil-filled electric heater keeps the plants alive, but it's not nearly warm enough for a tortoise:

greenhouse 10-07-14 b.jpg greenhouse 10-8-16 a.jpg greenhouse-3.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm interested in trying this concept out, hoping I can provide warm enough days for Darwin to get out and on the grass, even if it's inside a greenhouse.

I found this article fascinating, and at least somewhat related.

Jamie

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm interested in trying this concept out, hoping I can provide warm enough days for Darwin to get out and on the grass, even if it's inside a greenhouse.

I found this article fascinating, and at least somewhat related.

Jamie

Huh, that’s pretty cool!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like the idea and would be very interested in your results. A greenhouse is totally dependent upon the sun. You need good sun exposure for it to do its job. Than means a location that is not shaded by big trees, etc. Also your climate makes a big difference. The more sun days you get in the times of year you want the greenhouse to do its job, the better. New Hampshire is normally in the <50% cloud range most of the year, which is better than Stockholm, Sweden from your article. Here in the central valley of California, we normally get 70% cloud cover for the cooler months and its way too hot the summer, so not the best location for this. Where you are, looks like a very intriguing plan. Please keep us posted.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
A good many years ago (35ish) i took some sustainability classes at the Farallon Institute. They maintained greenhouses with 55 gallon drums filled with water, painted black. The water had a high salt content that helped them re-radiate the hear at a slower more steady rate. I don't recall what salt was used. They also set them off the ground a few inches.

Other passive heat maintenance systems were used as well, but as mark indicates, they all are powered by sun hours.

You might also look at some of the