plant grow light

JJT

5 Year Member
I have a giant 4ft by 8ft tortoise tank, i have a dedicated heat spot, and i have UVB bulbs so they are getting the proper lighting, on the other side of the tank i wanted to add a grow light and i wanted to plant a tortoise grass mix into the tank so they could graze all day.

Basicly my question is will the plant grow light hurt my tortoises?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I don't believe so , they are basically UV bulbs but not as strong as the reptile UVB bulbs .

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I go to a local exotic pet store, where I have gotten to know the employees quite well. One of the men who works there used to own his own pet store back in the 80s and 90s, he said that they were using UV plant lights bought from a hardware store in his pet store for all types of reptiles including turtles and tortoises, long before uvb bulbs were being sold for pets in pet stores.
So I think you should be okay.
Deadhead vet was actually just talking about the uvb lights he uses for his tortoises in another post today and they seem to be designed to use for hydroponic plant growth.
That all being said their are many different types and brands of uvb plant lights and without knowing specifically the light it is hard to say for certain.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are commonly sold and used for aquariums. They grow plants....And a lot of algae if the water is not really clean.
because they are sold for aquariums, they are also available in aquarium hood lengths.
My experiments were in using aquarium hoods for terrestrial plants. This was over 20 years ago. Lighting has likely gotten better since then (and cheaper?)
My tortoises would always eat the plants before they got very large. With or without the lights.:)