Plant ID help please

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
It looks like a type of clover - but the cover I know here in the UK has a white line across its leaves and rounder flowers in purple or white.
So I'm not 100% sure, but google 'types of clover' to see if you can find a match then check it on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are multiple plant species in your picture, but the primary one is crimson clover. That is safe to feed as part of a varied diet.

Off to the right is a sprig of what appears to be horse weed. That one is toxic. Don't let them eat that one.

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
There are multiple plant species in your picture, but the primary one is crimson clover. That is safe to feed as part of a varied diet.

Off to the right is a sprig of what appears to be horse weed. That one is toxic. Don't let them eat that one.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks Tom! I'll go pull out that horse weed now...

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
It looks like a type of clover - but the cover I know here in the UK has a white line across its leaves and rounder flowers in purple or white.
So I'm not 100% sure, but google 'types of clover' to see if you can find a match then check it on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Yep, Tom nailed it as Crimson Clover. A quick google search and it looks like a perfect match. I had thrown in the garden a desert tortoise seed mix from Native Seeds and it must have been in that batch. It took over a good part of my tiny garden and I haven't seen it there before.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Horseweed isn’t as toxic as some sources indicate but it does taste awful to most tortoises.

I pull it pretty quick not because it’s harmful but because it turns into a really horrific, giant weed overnight.