Plant ID help please.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I am looking for some safe to eat weeds to plant into little emys emys enclosure. I noticed they like to munch on this one and it multiplies fast thru root growth. Someone had posted it couple days ago but don't believe it was identified.is it safe with decent nutritional value?

1378938934873.jpg

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
mikeh said:
I am looking for some safe to eat weeds to plant into little emys emys enclosure. I noticed they like to munch on this one and it multiplies fast thru root growth. Someone had posted it couple days ago but don't believe it was identified.is it safe with decent nutritional value

It could be something in the mallow family, but I'm sure it's NOT common mallow or Malva. Where do you live? Maybe you can find some info by looking up native plant species, either online or bookstore. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It does look a bit like mallow, however, mallow spreads via seeds and not roots, so I don't think that's right.

Take your sample to a nursery. Someone there should be able to tell you what it is.

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
Its a Centella Asiatica leaf or pegagan leaf. Growing throuhgout Asian swampy and humid area. It is widely use as medicated herbs, drinks, even as salad while eating rice.. Harmful tu human.

To human. :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes, it does resemble mellow, but it spreads thru the root system like Yvonne pointed out. The leaves are much bigger, and more vivid green.
So its used in salads but its harmful? Interesting.
I live in New Jersey, and yes it does prefer moist soil, partial or full shade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I GOOGLE'd pegagan, and I don't think your plant looks like that at all.

mikeh

5 Year Member
On the thought it growing in Asia in humid and wet areas wouldn't emys emys have access to it? I was planning on planting in their indoor enclosure for the winter as it readily multiplies and they seemed to like it a lot. They munched on it outside during the summer with no apparent I'll effects.

Its been sitting here in the bucket for past month. Lol. Don't know what to do with it.1381760710638.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Looks like " violets" .living in New England and that's what we call them .they are pretty " weeds" if they happen in gardens we leave them as they are quite beautiful .if you are from a colder area they are still looking nice as opposed to other plants that are dying back . Has any one fed coleus ? They look like some thing turtles would love . Also gave cactus pears yesterday , ALL went wild !. ( including two new black mountains ) . The color inside the cactus pears is neon fusha ,tastes great and reminds me of pomegranate .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I may have found it:

Tellima grandiflora

Take a look at some GOOGLE images of this and see if it matches your plant.

If this is your plant, it is supposed to be toxic to humans. Tortoises can eat quite a bit of things that are supposedly toxic, with no ill effect. If it's only a part of their diet I should think it would be ok. You can also plant hosta. They love that plant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just now looked at your bucket picture. That plant does indeed look like a violet or viola of some sort. This is NOT toxic and quite ok to feed to your tortoises.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
After reading more posts ,I am almost certain it is what we call violets . Have you tried cooked yams and sweet potatoes ? They love them so much that you can hide their calcium / vitamin supplements in them and they still eat it , although they know the supplements are in it .

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thanks for everyone's help! After comparing details the vein pattern and leaf shape with all the suggested plants some violas pictures come closest or identical. But I have never seen these bloom???

Yes they go crazy for sweet potatoes, yams, carrots and will eat anything that is mixed in. Not to get off the topic ,but Do any of you notice springy plastron and tips of carapace in very young emys juveniles? Mine 4.5" emys emys exhibit this, shell seems strong, not spungy or soft but springy, when they stuff themselves the plastron actually bulges out a bit. Looks like they have a small beer belly. Lol

edwardbo

5 Year Member
you've read my mind ! They actually bloat . One of mine felt like I could put my finger tip thru its plastron ,almost feels like leather , as small leather ballon . I was afraid to mention it on here so I just watched them ,today they felt firmer. I've only had them a week as of yesterday . Started to load them w/ calcium last couple of days , along with UVB basking . Corralled them in a big puddle of sunlight (open window ) all afternoon as I did office work . They are neat animals,
one is a holy terror and the other is a delicate ,gentle , relaxed sweet soul . Terry O , if you are reading this you are my hero ,your post inspired my turtle keeping . Back to turtles ; today they felt firmer , sometimes a lack of a nutrient , mineral or vitamin will respond very quickly as if the body sucked it up like medicine . Their swelling is even noticeable from a profile . Well on to the next turtle inspired anxiety ......