Safe to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeh

5 Year Member
My emys emys like to chump on the leaves of this plant. Is it safe to feed?
1378049974215.jpg

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Manouria can eat lots of toxic things that most other animals cannot. Here's what I found on pokeweed on the net:

"EDIBLE PARTS: Young tender leaves eaten only as thoroughly cooked greens (in two waters). Cooked berries are safe for making pies. CAUTION: Berries, roots and mature plants are poisonous, therefore, only use as new, young growth. Also any red-tinged plant material should be discarded. To avoid possibly collecting part of the toxic root, do not cut below ground level. HARVEST: Only collect young shoots from areas you know have NOT been treated with pesticides. Collect in early spring. SAFE HANDLING PROCEDURES: Wash young shoots thoroughly with warm water. Do not use dish detergent or any type of sanitizer. These products can leave a residue. Peel and parboil tender young shoots (less than eight inches) in two changes of water several minutes each. Boil in a third water until tender and serve like asparagus. Young stalks less than one foot tall, with leaves removed, and before red tinged, can be cut and rolled in corn meal and fried like okra. They can also be pickled. Young leaves taken from stalks less than one foot tall can be parboiled in two changes of water for several minutes each and boiled in a third water until tender. To freeze, parboil leaves twice, cook, pat dry and place them in plastic bags. SOURCE: Larson, Ken. 1995. God's Free Harvest, Rhema Publishing, Inc., Suwanee, GA. 231 pp."

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info Yvonne. Would you feed it to you emys?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't actually pick it and offer it to them, but if it grew in their pen and they ate it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.