Plant ID PLease

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselover

5 Year Member
I have this growing in my outdoor enclosure and they seam to like it and eat it but before I let them eat alot of it I thought I would run it past you guys.

There are no flowers that form and it starts in a center root and spreads out in a circular pattern. My mom calls it "water weed" but it does not grow in the water and google image search returns a bunch of... well... weed... lol

100_1889.jpg

100_1890.jpg

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NM
It looks like splurge to me, break off some and see if milky fluid comes out. I dont know if its edible.

CoryCrandall

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I agree that is likely spurge. Either Spotted Spurge or Creeping Spurge...

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/spotted_spurge.html

The descriptions on this site quotes "Spurges have a milky, sticky sap that can cause contact dermatitis in humans and animals. Some spurge species, if eaten, can cause mild to severe digestive tract irrigation, and even death on rare occasions. It is a host for fungal diseases and attracts pests that damage crops."

Has any one had any experience with this weed? Digestive tract irritation in mammals does not always apply to herbavoracious reptiles. I have a 7" Sully and we had to move to a new rental property that has quite a lot of this Spurge. I was hoping to let Tiny Tim have his way with the weed but I'm not sure of the risk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard from quite a few desert tortoise keepers who say their desert tortoises love spurge.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Does it look like a suculent. If so I have it and have been feeding it.
Just looked it up. that is not what my torts eat, but it does grow on my yard. I have beed afraid to give it to Bob abd Shelbi

Status
Not open for further replies.