plant id

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
"Pothos" - Epipremium aureum - safe.
I know you know plants better than I do but I've become leary of pothos. It grows great indoors, in low light, and I love it's root system for filtration growing in my aquatic turtle habitat. It's like a Jumanji plant that goes crazy. However I've taken it all out after some turtle started acting poorly I know it's very high in oxalatic acid and had seen it as not recommended for turtles and causing upset stomach in dogs. Are you sure it is tortoise safe?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I know you know plants better than I do but I've become leary of pothos. It grows great indoors, in low light, and I love it's root system for filtration growing in my aquatic turtle habitat. It's like a Jumanji plant that goes crazy. However I've taken it all out after some turtle started acting poorly I know it's very high in oxalatic acid and had seen it as not recommended for turtles and causing upset stomach in dogs. Are you sure it is tortoise safe?

You "know" it is high in oxalates? I can not find data on this plant and the type and quantity of oxalates it contains. Please point me to your data.
This plants is used extensively in animal habitats. There is very little question is is one of the safest, though nothing is perfectly safe, of course.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You "know" it is high in oxalates? I can not find data on this plant and the type and quantity of oxalates it contains. Please point me to your data.
This plants is used extensively in animal habitats. There is very little question is is one of the safest, though nothing is perfectly safe, of course.
I reference this list often as it seems the most complete listing of plants rating them as to their value as food for tortoises
http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would love to know for sure and you made me check back on some sources;

Amanda Ebenhack's book, "Care and Rehab of Turtles and Tortoises," has it listed as a poisonous plant that shouldn't be used with turtles/tortoises. Russ Gurley's "Keeping and Breeding of Freshwater Turtles" also lists it as poisonous. And the CTTC http://www.tortoise....al/poisonp.html has it on their list of plants that are harmful to cheloinians.

And I was honestly stating that you know more than I do about plants - but I have for years seen it listed as poisonous love the way it grows so easily indoors and in lower light. Would love to use it but have opted out because of these warnings

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So what do you advise @Iochroma ? Do you think they are perfectly safe? I know you can't read tone into written messages - so I'll add I am not being sarcastic - I really want your opinion. Thanks for your educated input here.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I have a lot of experience with this plant in animal encloses and many friends in the veterinary and zoology fields; there are really no clinical cases of poisoning in helps from this. Eye irritation might be possible, of course. It seems to me that it would be very hard for one to exclude all other possible causes of eye irritation an be sure that it was due to Pothos, but it is a possibility.