Plant identification

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Just wondering if this succulent is ok to feed my leopard and also if thick bladed grass is ok...I'm assuming both are ok but want to be sure....?20200607_083345.jpg20200607_083419.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that is spurge and I think it is okay to feed in moderation, but since I am not 100% sure, lets get further confirmation.

Its tough for small leopards to eat tough mature grass blades like that. You can chop it up with scissors and give it a try, but soft, tender, young grass would be better for a little one.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I think that is spurge and I think it is okay to feed in moderation, but since I am not 100% sure, lets get further confirmation.

Its tough for small leopards to eat tough mature grass blades like that. You can chop it up with scissors and give it a try, but soft, tender, young grass would be better for a little one.
Oh okay I chop it all up anyway and she will devour everything... LOL there's just such an abundance of it I thought what a great way to take advantage of it but I have small blade grass as well just regular lawn grass which is hard to come by cuz my dog pees on all of it outside of my garden

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first picture is purselane and the second MIGHT be nut grass.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I Googled the picture of my succulents and it says on the turtle plant identification app for her not to eat them because they bind with her calcium not allowing her to absorb it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first picture is purselane and the second MIGHT be nut grass.
I don't have either of those and I always get the two mixed up. Thank you for giving us the correct name.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The Tortoise Table is super conservative; not everyone (me included) agrees with much of what’s in there. The science can be iffy. Plenty of owners feed purslane with no harm. My Russian doesn’t much care for it but will eat a bit after hibernation.

It’s good to be cautious when you are a new owner. If you aren’t comfortable feeding it that’s just fine; only you know what’s best for your tortoise. Just keep an open mind for down the road.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Are all grasses mostly edible
The Tortoise Table is super conservative; not everyone (me included) agrees with much of what’s in there. The science can be iffy. Plenty of owners feed purslane with no harm. My Russian doesn’t much care for it but will eat a bit after hibernation.

It’s good to be cautious when you are a new owner. If you aren’t comfortable feeding it that’s just fine; only you know what’s best for your tortoise. Just keep an open mind for down the road.
yes that's true I have heard that about the tortoise table I always have a very methodical cautious approach to Everything I Not that you needed to know that but it works for me and I know how to make it work so being cautious until I know more about something is always a good thing that's why I put stuff on here to find out more from you guys....?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

This isn't tough grass it's really soft even softer than squash leaves kind of like a weed Leaf its velvety and soft I had just seen on tortoise table about some grasses weren't edible so I thought I would ask I don't think I saw this one on there or even know what it's called it's like in a clump thick bladed grass

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
This isn't tough grass it's really soft even softer than squash leaves kind of like a weed Leaf its velvety and soft I had just seen on tortoise table about some grasses weren't edible so I thought I would ask I don't think I saw this one on there or even know what it's called it's like in a clump thick bladed grass
Actually not thick just wide it's thin soft and easy for her to chew

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That sounds ideal. I have something similar to what you describe and I use it for babies here.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
That sounds ideal. I have something similar to what you describe and I use it for babies here.
I know what you're talking about though there is thick bladed grass that is tough this grass is softer than most of the leaves I feed her kind of velvety very green. kind of fragile like tears very easy.. LOL