Plant light

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
I have grass and other greens growing in my encloser. Is it safe to use a Plant light bulb in with him? Or will it grow with his usual lights?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No it is not safe, and no they will not usually grow with regular lights. Some low light house plants are safe, but they will need to be in pots if you don't want them destroyed.
Another way to do it is to grow your plants in trays either outside, or under plant bulbs inside. Sink the first tray into the substrate so the rim is near level with the surface. When the first tray is all eaten and trampled, replace it with tray number two. If you have several trays going, the first ones can be recovering and re-growing white the tortoise tramples and eats the next one.

Violanna

Texas
No it is not safe, and no they will not usually grow with regular lights. Some low light house plants are safe, but they will need to be in pots if you don't want them destroyed.
Another way to do it is to grow your plants in trays either outside, or under plant bulbs inside. Sink the first tray into the substrate so the rim is near level with the surface. When the first tray is all eaten and trampled, replace it with tray number two. If you have several trays going, the first ones can be recovering and re-growing white the tortoise tramples and eats the next one.
Fantastic idea!!! Thanks! I was actually wondering this persons same question! Your answer actually solved two questions I had!

Hai

Tucson az

Dont plant glow lights try to mimic the sun's spectrum rays? I cant see how the would be harmful

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dont plant glow lights try to mimic the sun's spectrum rays? I cant see how the would be harmful
Most plant grow lights are engineered to produce the spectrum of light that most benefits plants and encourages plant growth. Not necessarily mimicking the full spectrum of the sun's rays.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It depends on the type of plant light. 6500K T5 HO tubes are more than just okay, they are great additional light. I also use Blue Max tubes which tend to put out a greater proportion of light on the blue side of the spectrum. Such as these and the '2 foot' tube. https://www.fullspectrumsolutions.c...finition-fluorescent-tube?variant=45464796238

I have been using these two kinds of tubes in combination for 5 years now and have raised several hundred leopard tortoises with them.

I have even grown one cohort of leopards using only these light and no UV at all, with D3 being delivered in their food. Otherwise I have used UV emitting tubes as well.

When I put food into an enclosure the food under the BlueMax tube is consumed first, then about the same for the 6500 K plant light and the UV tubes.