plant safe for torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
let me know please. not sure what it is but I've had it in a pot for awhile and thought to put it in the enclosure.
safe with russian?
safe with redfoot? don't have one though...yet :p

IMG_20110114_220359.jpg
IMG_20110114_220353.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
some sites say it's safe (tortoisetrust and a few others), others say it's not. some say it's safe but not as food...don't know what that means. so I'll keep it in the pot and use it to provide hide space/humidity. out of reach as food.

anyone have experience with it?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Its okay to have in the environment. Just monitor if your tort is interested in it or not. I've had it around reds and they've paid no attention to it... but I wouldn't let them eat it.

moswen

5 Year Member
if you're just wanting it for a good looking plant in your tort enclosure but it would be okay with you if it was eaten, then i agree with jordan. i believe you can introduce your tortoise to any plant, potted or in the ground, (but NOT mixed with it's food that you're feeding it) and your tort will know if it's bad or not. if it's just another plant or obstacle that your tortoise would come across if it was a free-roaming animal then he/she would know if it's good or not. they're born with that knowledge! as long as it's not mixed in with other yummies at feeding time and smelling like food, you've got no problems!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I set up my baby Texas tortoise habitat last summer I planted several pups off the sansevaria. The day after I added the little tortoises the pups had quite a few tiny bites taken out of them.

christmastreestorage.jpg

The sansevaria is a little past the middle towards the left.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Even if they nibble, a few of those bites are tests... I think they can "taste" if its bad for them--sometimes. So I think that there are three obvious scenarios: 1. tort ignores plant. 2. tort barely nibbles on plant for testing. 3. tort devours plant... That's why I recommend monitoring them around new plants to see what their response will be. I wouldn't worry too much about if they nibble once or twice, unless they seem to be doing it to eat or continue to do it. Just use your best judgment and I'm sure everything will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.