Plantation identification. Please help me

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi All

From time to time I will be asking you guys for plant and tree identification and if its tortoise friendly. I've created this thread so please anyone who is any good with plants,trees etc keep a watch on me. Over time I will be adding all sorts for identification. Especially in the summer.
So 1st off what is this and can torts eat the flowers. This is on my front garden so if its not edible its no big deal. Ignore the xmas snow still hanging lol

IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
camelia - flowers edible
Really. Thank you. This tree produces an enormous amount of flowers. How do you remember all the different names of trees and flowers? I find that amazing. I'll have to put tags on all my trees and plants that says, EDIBLE and INEDIBLE. lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you've lived as long as I have, you have quite a store of knowledge built up inside. The problem is accessing all of it. But camellia is one of my favorites. Here in the Central Valley of California, camellias are bushes. But in Sacramento, around our state capitol building, the camelias are so old that they are actually trees. I tried to find a photo for you, but this was the only one I could come up with. Scroll down to about the ninth photo:

http://www.succulentsandmore.com/2012/12/favorite-photos-of-2012.html

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When you've lived as long as I have, you have quite a store of knowledge built up inside. The problem is accessing all of it. But camellia is one of my favorites. Here in the Central Valley of California, camellias are bushes. But in Sacramento, around our state capitol building, the camelias are so old that they are actually trees. I tried to find a photo for you, but this was the only one I could come up with. Scroll down to about the ninth photo:

http://www.succulentsandmore.com/2012/12/favorite-photos-of-2012.html
Interesting. So what governs the flowers color. Or are there different types.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pretty much all of them are Camellia japonica or sometimes sasanqua, and they come in many different types of flower and many colors, just like roses do...each having it's own name.