Any help with these finicky weeds?

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi!
First of all let me apologise for bugging you all with a second 'plant identification' thread.
Having used @Yvonne G 's promising method (Google :D) with most of my photos and finding the species, these particular plants haven't worked as well. I've also tried describing the leaves alongside the picture, but Google simply shows me a variety of plants that I can't single to just one type.
Also please say if they are edible / not edible / toxic if you know.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me!
Also I have found some budding dandelions sprouting in my garden! :p
Many thanks,
Olivia

These are the plants...
Plant 1:
image2-5.JPG
Plant 2:
image1-5.JPG
*pretty sure this is water cress, as the leaves and roots match to google images, but just wanted to double check!
Plant 3:
image3-8.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know these ones, but knowing your location, might help those who do.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
1: maybe some kind of ranunculus?
2: sorry, don't know
3: Looks like lesser celandine (ranunculus ficaria), but is this even growing at this time of the year? Well, I guess it depends on where you live...

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
1: maybe some kind of ranunculus?
2: sorry, don't know
3: Looks like lesser celandine (ranunculus ficaria), but is this even growing at this time of the year? Well, I guess it depends on where you live...
Thank you!

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one is very similar to Carolina Geranium, but if you Google that, the pictures don't look exact, just similar.
The third one is very similar to viola/violet, but viola is not shiny like yours is.

I'm sorry, I'm not any help with this bunch. Let's see if @Iochroma fares any better.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
The first one is very similar to Carolina Geranium, but if you Google that, the pictures don't look exact, just similar.
The third one is very similar to viola/violet, but viola is not shiny like yours is.

I'm sorry, I'm not any help with this bunch. Let's see if @Iochroma fares any better.
Hi Yvonne,
Thank you for your help, and don't worry, I'm no better!
Also with the viola/violet, it was in direct sunlight which gives the "shine", and not usually like this. So violet might be a fair guess!
Olivia

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I would be inclined to agree with Yvonne, and say the first does seem to be a species of Geranium, but the look is a bit odd to my eyes. Not tasty in any case.
The second is either Cymbalaria or perhaps Glechoma. OK to eat.
The third might be a Viola species. If so, also OK.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am pretty useless at plant ID but once you have some names suggested you can check them on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk , that is a good guide as to what is tort safe or not.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I would be inclined to agree with Yvonne, and say the first does seem to be a species of Geranium, but the look is a bit odd to my eyes. Not tasty in any case.
The second is either Cymbalaria or perhaps Glechoma. OK to eat.
The third might be a Viola species. If so, also OK.
Thank you so much!
Olivia