Planting directly in tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataGuy

5 Year Member
As anyone tried growing any ground cover plants, I.e. ice plant, clover or even wheat grass directly in their tortoise habitat. I use coconut coir right now and was thinking of mixing it with a potting soil that did not contain fertilizer and try this, but don't know if my sulcata would leave them alone long enough to grow at all.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I have timothy, clover, chicory, and Irish moss growing in one of my indoor enclosures. The torts have two large tanks, with their basking area, hides, feeding stone, and water all in one tank. The other tank is heavily planted and well lit, but not heated. They access the second tank via a ramp, and they move freely between the two tanks. Because they spend most of their time in the tank with the basking area and visit the second tank only to munch a bit, the plants have done very well and have been living indoors now for 4 months. If the torts were only in one tank with the plants, I think they'd pressure the plants too much.
My tank with plants has about 8 inches of organic garden mix in it. I try to keep it moist enough for the health of earthworms.

SulcataGuy

5 Year Member
That is a great idea and that Rubbermaid tank I bought was only 20 bucks, would just need to dremel out a side on both tanks and figure out something to build a ramp/ tunnel but that would take the enclosure from 55 gallons to 110 and add natural grazing, thank you so much for this idea, I would love too see pics of your setup!

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
mesa, az
I would love to see pictures too. I am always trying to come up with better indoor enclosures.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I would love to see pictures of that too. My tort is quickly out growing all his indoor enclosures and i'm running out of ideas. I live in florida so it should be easy...but its not. Great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.